Pro Comp heads

Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
bluesmoke
SHOW GUEST

Default Pro Comp heads

Looking to buy a pump gas 540 from Nyes, Not sure about the Pro Comp heads, The info I've gotten from other sites pretty much say they are no good, Anyone used these or would I be better off with AFR, Dart etc. I would think the other heads shouldn't hurt the Hp or torque numbers
Old 05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Pro Comp heads are absolute junk. If you waste your money, and possibly your engine, you will soon forget the cheap price. I would have second thoughts about using an engine shop that would assemble an engine with Pro Comp heads. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Pro Comp heads

Originally Posted by bluesmoke
Looking to buy a pump gas 540 from Nyes, Not sure about the Pro Comp heads, The info I've gotten from other sites pretty much say they are no good, Anyone used these or would I be better off with AFR, Dart etc. I would think the other heads shouldn't hurt the Hp or torque numbers
Use what nyes suggest .. they've more then done the homework
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM
bluesmoke
SHOW GUEST

Default PRO COMP HEADS

Thanks for the input, I will stay away from the Pro Comp heads. I've read nothing but bad things about Pro Comp. Has anyone bought from Nyes? From what I've read they seem to be honest and build a good motor. I'm looking to buy a chevy big block crate engine 540 up to a 565 around 700 to 750 hp and as much torque as I can get on pump gas, There's a ton of company's out there and it's hard to know who is truely honest and build what they advertise. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

My opinion why pro comp heads got a bad rap is a lot of people are selling them complete assyl. by pro comp .
The bare heads are fine we have done tons of them using good parts in them and we have had no problems with them.
And I'm sure there are plenty of engine builders that have used them with out problems the pro comp valves are very heavy and the springs they have are also not very good .
I'm sure Nye's would not use them if they were junk .
Now with that being said you can improve the heads by doing some hand work on them every set we do we don't just put them together and ship them and i tell my customers that also. but we cant sell them as cheap as some are here on rj because we use ferra manley and comp parts in them and iv heard that a lot that they can buy them cheaper and you can but i would not recommend it and i want sell them with pro comp parts in them .
A person should buy there heads for what they are using them for and the power range they are looking for.
If you want to get the most power from a set of heads i would recommend (Curtis Boggs) for that he is one of the best in the business.

We have built plenty of the pro comp heads and and they have put out some pretty impressive no#'s at the track for what they are but again they was not thrown together at pro comp.
Just My 2 cents worth I'm not trying to sell anyone heads or tell them to buy the pro comp heads there just not a bad head for the money.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:51 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: PRO COMP HEADS

Originally Posted by bluesmoke
Thanks for the input, I will stay away from the Pro Comp heads. I've read nothing but bad things about Pro Comp. Has anyone bought from Nyes? From what I've read they seem to be honest and build a good motor. I'm looking to buy a chevy big block crate engine 540 up to a 565 around 700 to 750 hp and as much torque as I can get on pump gas, There's a ton of company's out there and it's hard to know who is truely honest and build what they advertise. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nyes is top notch, call and ask for Pat. Tell him David Lanning sent ya. May help ya out a little bit.

Here is a few topics on nyes
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9896

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...highlight=nyes

Old 05-23-2009, 06:26 AM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

I cannot understand why anyone would risk destroying an engine worth thousands and thousands of dollars by using a set of junk heads to save a few hundred dollars. Worse yet, is paying to have the junk heads "gone over and touched-up". You can polish a turd all you want, but it is still of a piece of sh*t. Learn from others' mistakes, go with quality heads. A top-notch engine shop will refuse to use junk, polished or unpolished. JMHO
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bubbabbc
A top-notch engine shop will refuse to use junk, polished or unpolished. JMHO

They will for a pump gas budget motor :lol: :wink:
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 AM
gungho
EXPERT BUILDER

Hey bubbabbc why dont you back up your bad mouthing procomp with some facts,oh let me guess,you are just flapping your gums about what you heard.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Here is an opinion that should help you decide if considering.Copied from a thread on speedtalk. http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...hlight=procomp

Originally Posted by cboggs
I have some experience with them, ..

In general the castings are weak so I wouldn't port on them too much or put a huge valve spring on them.
If you keep the cam small for a roller and avoid the 360lb seat pressure some cams like you should be OK.

Take them to a good machine shop and have the valve guide clearance
checked and have the valve seats cut. Do a light clean up of the casting
blend under the seats, .. and go have fun.

The one I flowed before trying to port did not flow the advertised numbers, .. but these days, ..
what head really does. It should do just fine for your application.

It's an OK head for the price, .. but like any inexpensive race part, .. the economics are short term, ..
meaning in general the lower quality that goes with the lower price in general means
the part will not perform well or as long as the quality part, .. and could cost more in the long term.

Should be fun in a dragster, ..

Curtis
Originally Posted by cboggs
Originally Posted by crazycuda
I haven't had a chance to see a set of these yet. But from what I am understanding the heads would be good on a hot street car, maby mild bracket racer?
I don't think so, ..

Curtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -