Leaking front Centerline rim??

Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Default Leaking front Centerline rim??

My front skinny tire would not hold air for more than 24 hrs. It would go completely flat. The tire is a Moroso drag and it looks fairly new with no nails, cracks, or gouges. I take it to a tire shop and after squirting soapy scum water all over, we realize the air is leaking from the center of the rim???? We remove the tire and notice the silicone between the two piece wheel is broken. I have gone to a couple of wheel repair shops and they don't want to touch it??? I know I can re-silicone it just like I have done many times in the bathroom. Is the rim trash or should I just do it myself???
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

CENTERLINE WHEELS SUCK!!! THEY ARE SCUMBAGS!!! LIARS. Treat customers like shit on the phone.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Come on Tod, tell us how you REALLY feel. Don't hold back. Just kiddin. I've run Centerlines since the mid 80's and have had good luck so far. What happen with your wheels?

TS1955
Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

It's a long thread...semi short version ..I ordered wheels in April and was told 2 weeks, Ended up being 3 and a half months.I was given the run around all summer over them..When I finally got them the fronts were a 3 piece welded together wheel but they were advertised as a 1 piece sfi Aproved wheel.I only got the fronts at first and when I finally got the rears they looked like shit...they have tool marks in them and are very wavey...they look like they have dings in them. They basically told me tough shit when I called and told them they looked bad...they wanted me to pay to ship them back but told me I would probably have to wait another 2-3 weeks for replacements...and there was no gaurentee the next set would be any better and could even be worse...they said they couldn't make a 14 inch wheel without it being a little wavey. The customer service guy was rude and changed his story every time I talked to him.

They did exchange the welded up fronts for some 1 piece , and they are nice but the rears do not look good at all. The blemishes won't show up in a picture but are obvious when you are looking at them in person.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

I can understand that. I'd feel the same way!

TS1955
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 AM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

I guess "centerline" triggers your defense mechanism? So...I guess you're saying not to send the rims to them to fix?? LOL
Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 AM
kbartley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default leaky centerline

First, make sure the wheel is not bent. Scrape the old silicone/caulk depending how old the rim is and use 100% silicone. Silicone never dries out. Then lay something across the wheel & run it around the whole thing to smooth up any excess silicone. Try & make it as even as possible. Hope this helps. Kris p.s. be careful as you pull out the old sealer there should be an o-ring in there.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 AM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

I already cleaned the wheel. I scraped every bit of the old silicone off. I actually took my time to ensure a good job with mineral spirits. The rim has been drying for over 24 hours. I am letting it dry a full 48 hrs before I mount the tire back on. I will let you guys know if it sealed.

I believe what happened is at one point the car must of come down hard from a wheelie with a previous owner. The silicone had a slight tear in it which would allow air to escape from the center of the wheel because it's a three piece design.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

CALL THEM AND ASK FOR "lOUIE" He will likely be the one who answers the phone....he will be very helpfull. :roll: He will likely tell you that all wheels (whatever size YOURS is )leak like that and there is nothing they or anyone else can do. Then he will say you are impossible to please.

The owner of this wheel was also impossible to please....after all, he only paid for one valve stem hole, and they provided 2!! what's he belly aching about?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 AM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

That's f'd up.

My Centerline is actually holding air. Success for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -