Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PG vs. th350/400 on the street

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN

PG vs. th350/400 on the street

What is your opinions on a powerglide trans vs. a th350/400 trans on a street/strip car? Please discuss.

I know that the PG is recommended for the track, but how have you guys liked them on a street driven/non daily-driver?

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    PG will give you the most mpg, less hp to turn. 350 will give you more than a 400 also. 400 is the strongest, probably will never break it. Of course, I am a little biased, I have been running 400's since 1980 except for a few months in 85 when I had a 66 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 350/PG combo. Man, those were the days.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    You have to compromise. The TH400 would be best on the street but the powerglide has been a lot better for me on the strip.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I'd run the three speed on the street just because of the lower first gear ratio....it will be more fun to drive.You're not looking for consistancy just something fun to drive. Just my opinion.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    th400 gets my vote, ive seen mid 8s with mine in the quarter

Mileage? We don't worry bout no stinkin mileage.

T-400 all the way. It can hold a ton more power than a comparable PG, and to build a PG to hold the same power costs a LOT more.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

i gotta laugh gmc you are soooooo right!!! on my th400 vehicles milage is not in the equation!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: i have three vehicles with em.best trans made for green horned hicks like me that dont wanna mess with the computer assisted trannies

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'll ask again. Has anyone ever swapped from a 400 to a glide with no other changes and if so what was the result? I am just curious about the gain or loss in ET between the 2. I know the glide is best for bracket racing but I want to know about which one will et the best in a 3200 lb BBC car...I don't care about consistant. I just wonder if the lower first gear and harder launch with the 400 will be offset by the extra hp needed to turn it. I just horse around with my car and have fun, so consistancy doesn't concern me much. It dead hooks with little burnout with a glide...60' is low 1.30's I just was thinking of putting a 400 in it for fun.

Th-400, If you break one of them, there something wrong.

I am building a 70 chevelle right now and I bought a Lenco 4 speed, but after reading this post, it kinda of got me thinking why on earth I bought that lenco????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ashbro u should run faster dont worry