info on shock settings

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default info on shock settings

Hi GUys

I am looking for some reading info on setting up shocks...i have single coil over adjustable qa1 same shocks on the front.... a ladder bar car and also affetcs of tire pressure...just trying to do some fine tuning and if i have a referson to go by will help out........trying to fiure out why the car is loading and unloading, does a spin on the tires, so not sure about stiffening the shocks or lossening them , go up with tire pressure or down...more i think about it the more i confuse myself..........thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

somebody must have a link were i can do some reading up on this stuff............thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Shocks

Hope this helps.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...uspension.html
Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Shocks

Originally Posted by fla1976
Thanks but i already found that site......what i am looking for is basically is affect of air pressure for my application on the tires.......trying to find the normal air pressure i should be running for my application and also i have coil overs in the front and the back with just one way adjustments.....my take is setting the back stiffer will not let the tires hit so hard and softer settings will let the tires hit harder.......i am trying to figure out if i have my shocks set wrong or my air pressure or i am launching at the wrong rpm as the car loads up and then unloads for a instance and a small spin.

The car weight is 2600 lbs with me in it
wheel base is 94 inchs
rear tires are 32x14x15 with 7 to 8 psi in them
launching at 4800 rpm and torque stall is 5800 rpm
tranny is a 1.76 powerglide
motor is 383 sbc peak torque at 5300 rpm 525 ft/lbs
peak hp is at 6700 rpm 600 hp
car is 55 wieght to front and 45 to back

The other day i was playing with my shocks and tire pressure and my 670 foots went in the range of 1.38 to 1.42.......our track elevation is 2400 feet and usually corrected in the 3600-4200 range and as bad as 5300 feet

two weeks earlier i took the car to the coast and air was at 1400 corrected the worse and i ran 8 psi in tires and still would load and unload but not as bad with 1.34 60 foots.

So the biggest thing is should i loosen up the front shocks right up and tighten up the backs and go up with tire pressure and try elimanate the load and unload of the tires.....................thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 AM
bryanm
JUNIOR BUILDER

I would try running more pressure, keep going up by a 1/4-1/2 lb until you get it to spin and then back down and see what happens. I had a similar problem and it ended up being the tires, put on a new set and it was cured.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Fishman,

If you car has a lot of seperation at launch it might be running out of travel on the rear shocks causing a spin situation as you described. Is there any way you make a shock travel indicator and just make short launches to check it? They are not to tough to make.

Curtis
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Iwas talking to a fellow today that runs a top fueler and he told me a few things, he figures that i am wadding the tires and that i am running my rear shocks to tight as they were set on 8 clicks stiff out of 12 settings, he told me to just play with the rear shocks settings and the tire pressure this weekend and after my first pass give him a shout...........also we were discussing the back end of the car is higher then the front end..........the tire shop has a blow out sale on a set of mickey thompson front tires for $80 a piece and they are 2 inchs taller then mine...that might stabilize the load more or make it worse............front shocks settings are 5 clicks
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

I just finished loading the car on the trailer and i noticed that the outside of the slicks are wearing alot more then the inside is that a sign of not enough air...........i would think so but asking anyways
Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

How wide is your rear rims?
I normally run 8.5-9.5psi Seems to like 9.5 better.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by us7race
How wide is your rear rims?
I normally run 8.5-9.5psi Seems to like 9.5 better.
The rims are 14 inchs wide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -