Oil leak

Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

Default Oil leak

I just got done putting my smallblock in my car and firing it up. Took it for a ride and I get back to the garage and I got oil dripping off the front suspension :evil: I take a closer look and its my front main seal were it meets the timing cover. So What I'm asking is does any one have any tricks to putting a new gasket in while in the car :?:
Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Leak

What manufacturer? I've had pretty good luck with the Felpro one piece gaskets in the SBC.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Confused me, is it the gasket, or the seal?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I think He is talking about the front pan seal where the timing cover meets the pan....If so, I would blast it good with brake Cleaner and run a bead of silicone over it then smooth it with my finger....shit I do that with it while it's on the engine stand...never had one leak yet....knock on wood. It is a pain to replace the gasket in the car but I've done it...either got to get the pan loose or pull the dowel pins from the front of the block to get the cover off...if you have a chrome timing chain cover that's probably why it leaked...wire brush the chrome off or rough it up if that is the case.

If you are talking about the seal in the center of the cover where the balancer goes that one would be easy to change...but I've never had one leak. Is the balancer rusty or rough where the seal rides? Are you sure the balancer is all the way back onto the crank?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Leak

I think it is the seal that goes across the pan on the front main on a SBC. But, it could be the front seal on the timing chain because we don't even know what engine it is yet. Hell, maybe it's an arctic seal. :?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Leak

Originally Posted by fla1976
I think it is the seal that goes across the pan on the front main on a SBC. But, it could be the front seal on the timing chain because we don't even know what engine it is yet. Hell, maybe it's an arctic seal. :?
It is a Chevy because he has a Chevelle....He has mentioned that in previous posts is why I know(I think I know)
Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

You have to run the correct lip seal for the timing cover you have also. There are 2 different thickness...
Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

sorry aqbout the confusion. I had the SBC on the stand and put a aluminum timing cover on it and a milodon deep sump pan because I had this problem before. It seemed like the gasket pushed up in the timing cover to far??? I guess I should have put the rtv to it more?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Wrong gasket it sounds like...
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by whitey70ss
sorry aqbout the confusion. I put a aluminum timing cover on it and a milodon deep sump pan because I had this problem before. It seemed like the gasket pushed up in the timing cover to far??? I guess I should have put the rtv to it more?
HUH?
What do you mean pushed up in the cover, that doesnt make no sense at all.

I'd try what Tod suggested as a quick fix, but before you get in a hurry and crank it up to check for leaks, let it set overnight, preferably 24 hours or more to let the silicon completely cure.

If that doesn't work you'll have to take the pan off and replace the gasket, depending on what chassis you have, sometimes it's easier to go ahead and pull the motor rather than fight it tooth, fang and claw laying on your back.

Goodluck>Cp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -