Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK>>OK I know the answer, Just wanted to throw it out

Junior Member APPRENTICE

OK>>OK I know the answer, Just wanted to throw it out

Is it a bad thing to cut a transmission yolk ???/ I know, i'm just being cheap, All i need is an inch more. I know it's hardened and would be a bitch, I was just wondering if anyone has done it??????? Let me know !! Its just a bunch of money to have the driveshaft shortened !!!!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    What good will cutting it do? The output shaft will still bottom out inside the yolk.

I have shortened several driveshafts myself for street applications and never had them balanced. I know that isn't the right way to do things but I have done it without any issues.

There is a good chance you have already broken your trans case if you drove that car with the shaft bottomed out.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I cut a long shaft th400 yoke to fit a short shaft years ago. Ran it for almost 20 years. Stock ones dont' like anything under 11 seconds. They are not as hard as you think. A port-a-band with a good blade will slice right thru it.

im with tod74 on this one. iv cut a bunch of driveshafts on street cars with no issues what so ever.i have been over 141 miles hr. with a shaft i cut and welded in my vise and no shakin goin on.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    He said yoke, not the driveshaft itself.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Yes i did mean the yolk !!!! And i was thinkin the same thing a portaband !!

X2 TOD, WHEN YOKE BOTTOMS OUT , BY,BY TRANS AND POSSIBLE THRUST BEARING ON CRANK!!

Jake is it close to bottoming out in the trans or on the outside at the seal?

Quote Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
    X2 TOD, WHEN YOKE BOTTOMS OUT , BY,BY TRANS AND POSSIBLE THRUST BEARING ON CRANK!!
    I did that years ago...I only had the shaft in there long enough to back it out of garage. Later when trans started to slip,I took it out and the crank moved back and forth a country mile. Ruined the thrust on the crank and the center support was busted in the trans case....it was a TH400

Quote Originally Posted by dparker
    Jake is it close to bottoming out in the trans or on the outside at the seal?
    The reason I answered the way I did was because he had another thread asking if it was bad thing that the driveshaft was too long...he had changed to a TH400 and said the shaft was so long he had trouble getting it in and out....I warned about busting the trans case.

He then started this thread, so I assumed he was going to try and cut the yolk off to avoid hurting the trans,instead of getting a different shaft. He told me via PM that he now had a shorter shaft that was the correct length but it came with a long yolk....so he wanted to cut the yolk off instead of changing them I guess.