Fuel pump block off plate / pushrod

Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Fuel pump block off plate / pushrod

I was changing the plugs and plug wires in my dads 87 gmc truck, looked down and where the fuel pump should be and there is nothing there- just a hole. No block off plate. The truck is tbi with an electric fuel pump. I put my finger in the block expecting to find a pushrod hole, but it seems as if the previous owner has plugged it somehow- there are no welds. If the rod was stuck in the engine, wouldnt it mess up the cam lobe that controls the fuel pump? Shouldnt there be a block off plate? Should I put a plate on it for extra security incase the rod/plug pops out and the engine loses all oil? Or should I pull the intake and cam out and try to drive it out up through the block and remove it from the lifter valley? Never seen this done before, always seen the plate put on and the pushrod removed.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

On the newer blocks GM new they wouldn't be using a mechanical pump so the blocks are sealed up from GM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

When GM went to fuel injection in the mid eighties they did away with the the mechanical fuel pump, the casting was still there in the mold it just wasn't machined out.
No need in worrying about every getting a leak there, its all metal.
Cp
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Haha got my answer in first................
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
\\

Darn it, I had to edit mine twice (typos) or I would of gotta cha!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
Originally Posted by dparker
\\

Darn it, I had to edit mine twice (typos) or I would of gotta cha!
LOL !! You guys are fun to watch on the forums! Dave
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Yea, don't try to put a pushrod or mechanical pump on it, won't work. Dang, to late also, LOL.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah, that brings back a funny memory: when I changed my first mecanical fuel pump (I was like 16), I kept fighting that damn pushrod falling down preventing me from fully installing the pump. I finally got it done after a frustrating 35 minutes of fighting that stupid pushrod. I told my friend who happend to be WAYYY more expierenced than I about my struggle. He simply said: "Just put some wheel bearing grease on the pushrod & shove it up there & it will stick on it's own... ya' dummy" I felt pretty stupid about that one. I felt like my ol' buddy who I asked to hold the spark-plug & boot while I kicked over a dirt-bike motor once to check the spark... told him to hold it at the base of the plug where the electrode was.... he fell for it hook/line/sinker.

This has been another meaningless babbling broadcast by your friend Scooter aka, Rigsby
Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default P/Rod

Heres a BETTER IDEA?
No Grease NEEDED!
Just take a Longer Bolt that runs in Line with the F/Pump Pushrod and tighten it until its Snug,that will Hold the Rod from Sliding OUT!
There will be a Short bolt in the Hole,in Front of the Block.Make SURE you re-Install it?It will LEAK OIL if not?
Later
G 8)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I have the one piece block in my 68 Camaro showcar and have a mechanical fuel pump barely held on by one bolt, big gap between pump and block with fake fuel lines. I show the car and everyone warns me about it. I tell them it runs fine and I'm not going to mess with it. When the show ends,I just crank up and drive away...

Some people say I am sick. Dave

P.S. Some day,remind me to tell you about my wooden cam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -