Thread: Stock powerglide case

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER

Stock powerglide case

What can a stock powerglide case hold up to in regards to hp limits? How much does an aftermarket bellhousing (i.e. an Ultrabell) improve upon that, if any?

Thanks

Mark

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Stock powerglide case

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoracerguy
    What can a stock powerglide case hold up to in regards to hp limits? How much does an aftermarket bellhousing (i.e. an Ultrabell) improve upon that, if any?

Thanks

Mark
    Mark it really depends on the weight of the car and the hp, a light car (dragster) you can run a stock case with 1000-1100 and be plenty fine, a 3300lb door car with less hp wouldnt hold up.

IMO if your going to spend the money buy the entire case, it'll be worth it in the end.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    I know a dragster with a stock case glide running 4.50's in the 1/8th. it does have the ultrabell.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the case. You need to make sure the guts and convertor are built to handle it. You can always put a blanket on the case and sheild the bellhousing.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I have a stock powerglide case behind a 540 in a 3200 lb car...Stock planets and all. It has a COAN shaft and transbrake in it along with a good servo thingamajigger but the rest is factory junk....knock on wood no trouble so far.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I agree with chevyfireball. Have a good planetary, input shaft, convertor etc. Stock cases are pretty strong.

TS1955

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Thanks for the input guys!

Mark

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I ran a stock case with a TCI planetary and guts in a 3500 lb door car with a 600+ HP SBC engine for the better part of 9 years and never hurt a case.

Had two dragsters, one 482 BBC and one 434 SBC with stock cases that worked fine.

I've built a s**t load of'em, including one behind a 496 BBC in a door car that have had zero case problems also. Ya have to realize that the load on the gearset is internal and there is very little radial jor axial force involved.

If that's what you got, then run it!