locking differential

Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

Default locking differential

what are the downfalls of using a locking differential on a street/strip application
because a freind of mine has a eaton locker thats he wants to sell me for cheap
Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: locking differential

Originally Posted by bowhay
what are the downfalls of using a locking differential on a street/strip application
because a freind of mine has a eaton locker thats he wants to sell me for cheap
They are unreliable and weak at best. This is why the great deal on it. Put a little power on it and it will be an open carrier in minuets. Any clutch unit is better than an eaton pawl locker type.
Bruce
Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

well u see he got it and 3 motors for free with the last reuck he bought
and the guy said he thought it was a locker but wasnt sure......how can u tell if its posi or locking
Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Clutch types have a clutches on the out board sides of the axle spider gears stacked up usually with a z shaped pre loader spring putting tension on the clutches behind the gears.
The locker type that stink look like the guts to a grandfathers clock and has a locking pawl spring loaded that locks the carrier in posi traction when needed. This is the weak link in this unit.
The better choice for racing looks exactly the same as an open carrier but with the clutches on the outer face of the axle spider gears with the pre-load spring that creates static tension on the clutches the axle pinion retains when installed.
Some 7.5/8" units and some others have cones instead of clutches and are not preferred for racing applications either. The cones wear out fast and make chatter when they slip like a clutch type can without the friction modifier in the gear lube.
Bruce
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

so what would u recomend for a hopped up street car that i tae to the strip every once in a while
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

The GM clutch type used in the 12 bolt and 8.5" stock applications. Moroso may make one like this also but to be easy the stock GM clutch types can be made very tight and durable for street strip use.
Bruce
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

The old ones had 4 coil springs between the clutches...nop mistaking them when you popped the cover.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:23 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

well i have a gm 8.5 ten bolt and im looking at performance ones..........any sugestions for brand
Old 04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

and what about spools?????????????
Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bowhay
and what about spools?????????????

You do not want to run a spool on the street....some guys do, but trust me you don't want to. ..not for what you are doing. You are asking for a broken axle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -