Thread: straight axle tire shake

Junior Member APPRENTICE

straight axle tire shake

I have got a new altered chassis and took it to the track today. Just driving around the pits to get a fill for it and the wheels would go into a bad woble or shake at mabey only 5m.p.h. It is a torsion bar straight axle. at first I thought it was bump stear so I took off the shocks and put solid tube inplace of shocks to make solid front. Still didn't help. tried to lean axle back and stand it up nether helped and played with the toe and nohing helped. any ideas would be appreciated

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Don't know how much you leaned the axle back or what wheelbase you have, but most people i know are running 10 to 12 degrees Caster, i'm building a 92" Anglia with struts and i'm starting out with 10 degrees.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Make sure everything is tight. All steering components and suspension components. And start with 10 deg. caster. JMO

TS1955

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    the car is 125" W.B. to start the axle was 8* caster and had moved it back to 12* and up to 5*. monday I talked to a street rod guy he said they run 5-6* caster and 1/16-1/8" toe in for biasply and 0-1/8" toe out radial. so I set 5.5* caster and almost 0 toe out for my radials and took it for a test drive on the old back top seamed to handle good and no shake. do you think I should try running more caster? on my old 161" F.E.D. I ran 22* caster and 1/8 toe in with good luck.

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

tire shake

Quote Originally Posted by AWAG
    the car is 125" W.B. to start the axle was 8* caster and had moved it back to 12* and up to 5*. monday I talked to a street rod guy he said they run 5-6* caster and 1/16-1/8" toe in for biasply and 0-1/8" toe out radial. so I set 5.5* caster and almost 0 toe out for my radials and took it for a test drive on the old back top seamed to handle good and no shake. do you think I should try running more caster? on my old 161" F.E.D. I ran 22* caster and 1/8 toe in with good luck.

Toe out is set to far out causing tires to chatter off pavment ie tire shake you have a long drag link to other side ?????

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Flexing linkage components ?
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    worn out steering box?

straight axel tire shake

where would you get a new box and what is ball park price?

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

A whole lot of Shaking going On

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
    Flexing linkage components ?
    Yes i found that there not thick enough and if toe in and toe out is set wrong you will bend that fucker i had to weld a channel to reinforce mine from doing that or get a much bigger dia. bar steering box can be repaired and set up if worn out no big deal to fix them in your own back yard

10. Racing Junk