Power Valve Plug??

Old 04-18-2009, 05:03 PM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Default Power Valve Plug??

Thought I would move this issue over to the carb section of the forum....

Trying to get to the bottom of some performance bugs on the combo....one of which is a poor idle. Doing the standard stuff in testing out the entire ignition system....checking for vacuum leaks around the intake...etc.

Finally moved on to the carb as some possible issues.....one thought was a blown power valve....but upon inspection I found that there was no valve only the Holley plug for the valve.....so obviously not a blown PV issue.

But what the heck is the reasoning behind plugging the power valve??....I suspect for racing application....but I want to understand how adjustments are made to increase fuel flow when needed apart from the job the PV would of been doing.

Thought??

And thanks!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

You don't need a power valve when running wide open all the time.
When you remove it you must increase jet size 8-10 numbers. The power valve allows for less jet to make the thing more drive-able at part throttle...When vacuum drops below the spec on the PV it opens and allows the extra fuel to make up for the 8-10 jet sizes that are not there, but need to be to prevent a lean condition at WOT.

That's my understanding of it Carb guys feel free to corrcet me if needed.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by Tod74
You don't need a power valve when running wide open all the time.
When you remove it you must increase jet size 8-10 numbers. The power valve allows for less jet to make the thing more drive-able at part throttle...When vacuum drops below the spec on the PV it opens and allows the extra fuel to make up for the 8-10 jet sizes that are not there, but need to be to prevent a lean condition at WOT.

That's my understanding of it Carb guys feel free to corrcet me if needed.
Hmmmm....that makes since. The jets are 81....does that sound close to being right?

Anyway....with the PV out of the equation...maybe I'm not chasing a rich condition for the poor idle....we really only suspected this because it seemed to get better as we moved the butterflies open (more air). But now I'm not so sure....maybe we were opening the butterflies up enough on the primary idle adjustment to get into the "transfer slots" which pulls in more fuel and bypasses the idle system.

I did however check the intake vacuum at idle while in drive....barely making 5 inches. That is really low....I dont know the cam profile, but this makes me think its fairly aggresive. Maybe I can improve that with idle screw adjustments.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated too!

If nothing else....I'm sure learning a bunch.

Thanks Tod.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

If you are uncovering too much of the transferv slots, you will know because you will not be able to get the thing to responde to the mixture screws. What size carb is it?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 PM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by Tod74
If you are uncovering too much of the transferv slots, you will know because you will not be able to get the thing to responde to the mixture screws. What size carb is it?
750 the 4150 series.

And the thing that really bugs me about this carb is the idle adjustment on the secondaries.....which is impossible to get to unless you purchase the part to make adjustment easier....which I dont understand why they didnt put that on anyway. I actually put a piece of cardboard under the secondary just to open the butterflies just a bit so that I could lower the primaries to make sure I wasnt uncovering those transfer slots. I think I have that done now.....so tomorrow I plan to play with the mixture screws with the vacuum gage attached and see if I can improve the pressure and improve the idle.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 PM
sm44
SHOW GUEST

any tell tell signs of rich? plugs black or black smoke?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 AM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by sm44
any tell tell signs of rich? plugs black or black smoke?
No smoke.....but I just changed the plugs and they were pretty black.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default PV

If you have reason to suspect PV check the gasket under the PV plug. Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
fatjodycat
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

power valves can help ideling. If you do replace the plug with a PV, take a vacuum reading and divide it in half for your PV #. Good luck
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

just an FYI

You asked about the 81's being too big....

I looked on Holley's website and most 750 cfm 4150 's are jetted around 70 on the primaries..depending on which model it is..may have been 69 or 71 that is with a power valve so yours is 11 or 12 bigger without the PV. So you are on the fat side of the recomended increase in jet size when the PV is removed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -