SBC GAS TO ALKY help

Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default SBC GAS TO ALKY help

I am considering switching to Alky from gas.. im looking to be able to run a more consistant number.
I have sbc 385 ci 13-1 200 .. now running 10.25 but i fluxuate 10.25 up to 10.29 from cool mornings to hotter afternoons
I run a complete aeromotive bypass type sys 10 line to the front 8 return .. this setup rated at 1200hp .. im making 642 hp Aeromotive claims this should have no issue to pump enough alky just have to change my filters and go from 6 line to carb to 8
My question is can alky narrow my time fluxuation.?. everyone i know on alky seems to run real tight numbers and gas guys fluxate a much broader range.
Will top lube help with the corrosive factor??
I run a Nos kit 100hp on a totally seperate fuel system will that need changes .. it works well now when i need it.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: SBC GAS TO ALKY help

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
I am considering switching to Alky from gas.. im looking to be able to run a more consistant number.
I have sbc 385 ci 13-1 200 .. now running 10.25 but i fluxuate 10.25 up to 10.29 from cool mornings to hotter afternoons
I run a complete aeromotive bypass type sys 10 line to the front 8 return .. this setup rated at 1200hp .. im making 642 hp Aeromotive claims this should have no issue to pump enough alky just have to change my filters and go from 6 line to carb to 8
My question is can alky narrow my time fluxuation.?. everyone i know on alky seems to run real tight numbers and gas guys fluxate a much broader range.
Will top lube help with the corrosive factor??
I run a Nos kit 100hp on a totally seperate fuel system will that need changes .. it works well now when i need it.
Alcohol will be must more consistant, it also takes more hands on. Most guys running alcohol might disagree but its just that after awhile the extra maintance just becomes natural. Top lube helps alittle, but nothing will stop the corrosive factor. I think you NOS will work fine also.
My advice would be don't go and buy a cheap second hand carb to start off with. Buy a nice alcohol carb to start with and you won't have any problems.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with dparker about the carb, APD, Prosystems, Rupert, just to name a few. We have run alcohol for years and have never had much of a corrosion problem, he is right we are used to everything associated with it. We never drain our systems, never have milking issues, etc... I believe methanol is more consistent but once in a while humidity can through you a curve if you get a big DA swing, gas is more predictable with weather change. We do run Klotz top end lube. Just my biased opinion on it though.

Curtis

P.S. we have run APD, now running Rupert, Demon, and Toilet.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 AM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

I was looking at APD and pro systems ...carbs. A few friends have the APD on there big cube motors.. wondering who does best with the small blocks?
I have a pro systems gas carb now .. pretty happy with it .. although i never owned an APD .. always idea of "who's is better". Pro systems has great service too... not sure about APD.

Thanks
Keith
Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I was looking at APD and pro systems ...carbs. A few friends have the APD on there big cube motors.. wondering who does best with the small blocks?
I have a pro systems gas carb now .. pretty happy with it .. although i never owned an APD .. always idea of "who's is better". Pro systems has great service too... not sure about APD.

Thanks
Keith
I don't think you would go wrong with either one big or small block. If you are happy with Patrick's work now I probably wouldn't change.

Curtis
Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks
Keith
APD has top notch service, ran them on 355 to 584 CI motors always been great and consistent/fast.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default SBC GAS TO ALKY

Just thought i would report how the APD with the Aeromotive electric pump worked out.. Everything went incredibly well. APD carb was uneventful only idle and slight secondary float adjustment needed.
In good air 10.59 2 weeks prior on gas with a 1.046 sixty foot 127 mph to 10.30(Alcohol) with a 1.40 60 ft with 129.4 mph.(with the worst air of the season)
Fuel system had 7lbs thru the lights .. which is good for this small block.. it drops from 8.5lbs at idle to 7.0 lbs.
My consitantcy was 10.305 10.308 10.311 10.309 .. these are the tighest numbers i have run.. i went 3 rounds .. i fell asleep in round 4 so oh well.
Thanks for the advice!!

Keith
Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I thought you would be happy with their carb. Sounds like your on your way to a win, good luck.

Curtis