throttle body spacer

Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 AM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

Default throttle body spacer

i need help finding a throttle body spacer for a bbc 93 for cheap all the ones on summit are like 70-90 buck i was wonderin if anyone had a used one
Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default trial and error made inexpensive

This will now answer your question directly, but you can make spacers out of a piece of wood using a gasket as a template. I used piece's of a red wood post (4X4) cut various thicknesses to try several different heights of spacers for my 4.0L HO jeep some years ago. I made 3 different heights and changed them out back to back to test where the torque band moved to or if I could tell any change. After determining which height worked best, I bought one made of phenalic or plastic material. This eliminated the trial and error buying several $80.00 spacers to find the answer. The wood works well and is easy to cut out with a jig saw and drill the holes on a press to make sure they are true perpendicular. Red wood is not necessary, but something without course grain is best so it does not split on you. Plywood or partical board may be needed for your larger size spacer footprint, you can get up to 1.125" and can stack your wood pieces too if you need higher pieces than that. Making 3 out of 1/2" and progressively stacking them might be easier than three different thicknesses for your application? The cost of the correct spacer design and thickness is worth $80.00 if you knew which one was best on the first try in my opinion.
Bruce
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

ok thanks that wood dont leak though
Old 04-25-2009, 03:12 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by txhunter69
ok thanks that wood dont leak though
You will need to use some common sense of course on your wood selection. Particle board would be the most ( leak proof) over OSB plywood. This is not meant to be left on for 50 miles or anything like that. Just long enough to determine how high a spacer is productive in your vehicle. If you had a sheet of 1/2" teflon, that works great as a final piece. Most folks don't have sheet teflon though. I glued the gaskets to the wood spacer with silicone adhesive held flat, to give a good seal then after it cured I had a spacer ready to install under the throttle body. This method did not leak and is cheap to try.
Bruce
Old 04-25-2009, 03:17 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

ok that sounds good much better than 80$ trial and error