Cam timing on a 4.6 Ford with Overhead cams

Old 04-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Cam timing on a 4.6 Ford with Overhead cams

OK...I need some help. I have never worked on a Ford. My nephew has a 2000 Ford F150 4WD with a 4.6. He and his father(idiot) took one of the cams off/out whatever and have it out of time. He said he can't turn it over with a ratchet. He claims he put it back together exactly as it came apart...I think they tried to start it and bent a valve. He says they didn't but acan feel it hit something when he tries to turn it. I told him I would look at it but I have never messed with an overhead cam engine. What is the proper way to get these things in time? What do I need to look for? Any special tools needed? I consider myself pretty capable but all I've ever messed with as far as engine assembly are small and big block chevrolets...I wasn't about to get involved with this but I feel sorry for the kid and he needs his truck to get to work..My sister asked me to help him or at least point him in the right direction so I told her I'd try. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
silverranger
APPRENTICE

hello.i work at a ford dealership,so maybe i can help....first,find out why he took the cam out...look at the cam and the bearing saddles in the head. if they are scored the head is junk and maybe the rest of the engine...second ,if he took the cam out without installing a wedge in the timing chain the tensioner extended to the max and won't go back until you remove the front cover. if it is out of time (i'm sure it is),your going to have to remove the intake,both valve covers and the front cover. then time it with the crank and cam and put the tensioner back on.(may not have to remove the intake unless you are pulling the head). if you need a pic of the timing marks i can fax you one.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by grslms51
hello.i work at a ford dealership,so maybe i can help....first,find out why he took the cam out...look at the cam and the bearing saddles in the head. if they are scored the head is junk and maybe the rest of the engine...second ,if he took the cam out without installing a wedge in the timing chain the tensioner extended to the max and won't go back until you remove the front cover. if it is out of time (i'm sure it is),your going to have to remove the intake,both valve covers and the front cover. then time it with the crank and cam and put the tensioner back on.(may not have to remove the intake unless you are pulling the head). if you need a pic of the timing marks i can fax you one.
Thank you for taking time to answer...a guy on another board sent me a link to step by step process with pics of how to time it...When I asked why they tore it apart all I got from him was "Dad said it was carboned up and we took it apart to clean it" whatever the heck that means....then he mentioned pressing something out... :shock: I know his dad well enough that that makes me want to run run run...guy is a moron. I'm sure I have enough mechanical ability to put it back together since I now have seen the step by step from a manual...it's the fact that His dad had ahold of it first that concerns me most.
This guy put a thermostat in his truck once in my dad's driveway(stopped to borrow the tools from dad) and busted the housing because he tightened the thing down with the thermostat not sitting in the recessed place...Dad ended up having to take him to a junk yard to get another just to get it out of the driveway...and it was middle of winter too.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
silverranger
APPRENTICE

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL BEING THE FAMILY MECHANIC.GOOD LUCK WITH IT..I WORK ON FORD'S,BUT RACE CHEVY'S( JOB SECURITY,LOL).
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by grslms51
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL BEING THE FAMILY MECHANIC.GOOD LUCK WITH IT..I WORK ON FORD'S,BUT RACE CHEVY'S( JOB SECURITY,LOL).
LMOA !!! :lol: ,, I hear ya there, do the same thing