400th problems

Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
hvychvy
JOURNEYMAN

Default 400th problems

thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated
ok so here is my problem I have a 1983 s-10 383 sbc, 9", 4-link and 400th with reverse manual valve body 4500 stall and I keep breaking drive hub, anyway thats what my tranny guy said. I bought the the transmission as a good working freshened 400 at a pretty GOOD deal. I put it in the truck finally got everything together go to the track , I have nothing but first gear it won't shift. Take it out and have it rebuilt, tranny guy said shattered drive hub, ok get it back put it in the truck same thing at track take it back out and to transmission shop he says it shattered drive hub again WTF I don't know anything about transmissions, but I need some help and not from somebody with a monetary interest in the whole deal.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

If he was worth a crap as a tranny guy he would tell you what was causing it...or at least offer an opinion. I understand he gets money every time you need a rebuild but a good shop wants to help you not just take your money.Find another tranny guy.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Do you have any pic of the tranny apart? Something is not put in right. what kind of valvebody? What else can you tell me about the tranny?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
hvychvy
JOURNEYMAN

no he is not asking for more money the truck never made a pass, so he is going thru it again on warranty, and I didn't buy it from him to start with. I just want opinions or tips that maybe I can add something to the solution of my problem.

The trans is a 400 with reverse manual valve body I don't know who made the valve body ,and I don't have any pictures yet. I talked with him yesterday and he said that he would try swapping some rings around that ride in the drive hub, I know nothing about automatics, but I'm going to remedy that too soon!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
hvychvy
JOURNEYMAN

sorry kwkracing ! yes he has the tranny apart and is ordering a new hub and putting it back together with some changes from the first time. I believe my tranny guy is a stand up guy , he works days in a tranny shop, and has a shop at home he works out of, he also runs two drag cars himself. He wants to go to the track with me when we get it all back together and see for himself.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hvychvy
I need some help and not from somebody with a monetary interest in the whole deal.

Your comment about wanting input from people who had no monetary interest made me think you fealt your tranny guy was charging you without solving the problem.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:41 PM
hvychvy
JOURNEYMAN

no no, but thanks for looking out for me I guess maybe I could have put it differently. I got ripped when I bought the tranny,and honestly I wish I had got a 350 instead, Live and learn, but again thanks man.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Ever consider a glide?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
hvychvy
JOURNEYMAN

Since I'm having so much trouble with this 400, I think about a glide daily. My tranny guy gave an empty 350 case so I could fab up a new crossmember to fit a glide or 350.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Th400 does not like a lot of rpm. They are more suited for a big block. Thee must be something miss aligned or put together wrong that he is just over looking. He will find the problem. If you don't turn it more than 6500, it will last forever. Anything over that, you are looking at a rebuild once a year. At least that's my experience, that's why I run a low rpm big block, I hate pulling trannys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -