crank trigger

Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Default crank trigger

How difficult is it to install a crank trigger and what does it consist of? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks mican
Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

It depends what you are installing it on. I had to buy special tools to install one in my pontiac 1999 because it was in the front of the timing cover. Lots to remove. It was not difficult to replace the one in my son's jeep as it was in the bell housing and held on by two bolts. So it depends on what it is you are working on.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Any crank triggers I've installed are a snap to install. I assume you're talking about race/aftermarket setups like MSD, Mallory .........may have to shim brackets to center the pickup on the trigger wheel, and same with pulleys for alternator and such if you run them. The trigger wheel mounts directly to the balancer and moves pulleys forward 1/4". You'll have to lock out the advance in the distributor and phase the rotor after setting timing. Timing is adjusted by moving the pickup, not the distributor, but it's easy.......and timing is rock solid once it's set!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
Any crank triggers I've installed are a snap to install. I assume you're talking about race/aftermarket setups like MSD, Mallory .........may have to shim brackets to center the pickup on the trigger wheel, and same with pulleys for alternator and such if you run them. The trigger wheel mounts directly to the balancer and moves pulleys forward 1/4". You'll have to lock out the advance in the distributor and phase the rotor after setting timing. Timing is adjusted by moving the pickup, not the distributor, but it's easy.......and timing is rock solid once it's set!
X2 I installed one on mine and I LUV it...
Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Default crank trigger

Sorry, It is an msd set up, dist,wheel,trigger the whole set up for a bbc, Also how do you phase the distributor? Thanks mican
Old 04-04-2009, 05:55 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Set the timing first. To set timing, turn crank by hand, to your desired timing. If you run 36 degrees, align timing pointer with the 36 degree mark, then center the pickup on the closest magnet, tighten the bolts and you're done. Check the timing with a timing light to make sure it's correct then phase distributor.
The best way is to drill a hole in the top of a spare cap inline with the #1 post. Start the engine and shine your timing light at the hole. You'll be able to see the rotor tip when the light flashes. It helps to put a white mark on the rotor tip. Turn the dist to align the tip with the #1 post and tighten it down. You're done. Be sure to put your non-drilled cap back on and go racing!
Later,
Johnny
Old 04-05-2009, 04:10 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Set the timing first. To set timing, turn crank by hand, to your desired timing. If you run 36 degrees, align timing pointer with the 36 degree mark, then center the pickup on the closest magnet, tighten the bolts and you're done. Check the timing with a timing light to make sure it's correct then phase distributor.
The best way is to drill a hole in the top of a spare cap inline with the #1 post. Start the engine and shine your timing light at the hole. You'll be able to see the rotor tip when the light flashes. It helps to put a white mark on the rotor tip. Turn the dist to align the tip with the #1 post and tighten it down. You're done. Be sure to put your non-drilled cap back on and go racing!
Later,
Johnny
This is a great idea.never would have thought of that .

I installed a msd C/T three weeks ago and was a breeze,I only had a alt to deal with.

went to the track saturday and it was the most consistant it has ever been
Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Very easy to install.. but worth NO et/hp/tq over the regular dist so if thats working fine dont waste your money/time.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:32 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
Later,
Johnny
This is a great idea.never would have thought of that .

I installed a msd C/T three weeks ago and was a breeze,I only had a alt to deal with.

went to the track saturday and it was the most consistant it has ever been
Wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. Read it here a while back. Works great! David's correct. Unless your current distributor is causing problems, you won't see any gains.......
Johnny
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I was using a stock type HEI pick up and it would pop once or twice on the big end.
now it's clean