rim screws on slicks

Old 03-31-2009, 01:06 PM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default rim screws on slicks

been using the same wheels on a few different sets of slicks and my self tapping holes in the wheels are getting to big and cant get my screws in and dont want to go with a new hole beside the wore out hole any one have a fix.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: rim screws on slicks

Originally Posted by camarotale
been using the same wheels on a few different sets of slicks and my self tapping holes in the wheels are getting to big and cant get my screws in and dont want to go with a new hole beside the wore out hole any one have a fix.
are the wheels steel, crome plated, aluminum?....if they aluminum find a competent welder in your area and just have the wheel's hole welded up and redrill them....same for the steel wheels...alot of guys go without even using the wheel screwws...i like them just a little insurance on the wheel spinning in the rim.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I'd just put new screws in the old holes. they will thread into the tire.. just my opinion
Old 05-14-2009, 02:14 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I just drilled new holes next to the old ones. You need the thread in the rim to hold the screws straight as the tire tries to spin on the rim. Without the thread the tires will spin and twist the screws sideways. I wouldn't run without screws even on a 9 or 10 second car. My camaro used to spin the tires on the rims bad.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:23 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

how heavy of a car ?

no rim screws for me .. been 7.4's
Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

My Camaro was 3600 lb originaly and it was spinning the tire on the rim up to 8 inches before putting in rim screws...Hell it might've been making full rotations first. Paint a white mark on the back of the tire and rim... you might be surprised.

I think its a safety thing too. If you get a flat it will help keep it from flying off the rim.