Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MILKY OIL

Member JOURNEYMAN

MILKY OIL

I fired up my 383 for the first time this week took it for a test drive and upon return in noitced what looked like steam comming out of my breather. upon further inspection under the valve covers there is white milky oil. the temp was at 180 oil pressure 45 to 50. the motor was just rebuilt looking for some direction before I start tearing it down.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    most likely intake manifold gasket leak. or could be head gasket. milkey oil is water in the oil. dont run anymore until you correct the problem or you will trash the new engine

Hope your not running alcohol.
    Don't start it, you need to analize what needs repaired.
    Gasket leak of some type or crack in block

Member JOURNEYMAN
    no its pump gas.

I'd start by pulling the intake and doing a real good inspection of coolant sealing surfaces and where the intake gasket meets the heads.
    I had a situation on my motor where the heads had been milled so much that the coolant passages didnt match up with the bosses on the intake enough to get a good seal, even after milling the intake!
    I ended up having some extra material welded on the botton of the intake to correct the problem.
    I'm not saying this is your problem but its worth a look and pulling the intake is a good starting point.
    Goodluck, Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

do you have head studs?

Quote Originally Posted by kwkracing
    do you have head studs?
    X2 good place to look if you're studs

Zip.

Member JOURNEYMAN
    Pulled the intake and it was leaking by two of the cooling ports guess the surfaces are not perfect. Installed new gaskets with a little high temp sealer everything looks good now thanks everyone for the help.

there is a lot of junk gasket kits out there, I only use fel-pro and have never had to redo one . make sure you change the oil & filter , run about 1/2 hr and change oil and filter again. dont use fram crap filter!! good luck, mike

Member JOURNEYMAN
    thanks I was wondering how long before changing the oil. I use fel pro but I think the heads and intake are a slight bit off. I did a pressure test it held at 15 psi for 10 min and then bled down. But I had clear water sitting by the lifters when I pulled the intake off, but working fine now. Thanks