sbc aluminum head suggestions????

Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM
eagle355
SHOW GUEST

Default sbc aluminum head suggestions????

I'm in search of a set of good heads to put on a 355 street engine going in a 4x4 truck? It will be driven everyday. My local shop is pushing a set of procomps but ???? need suggestions thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 AM
alk
JOURNEYMAN

AFR 195 heads work great.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: sbc aluminum head suggestions????

Originally Posted by eagle355
I'm in search of a set of good heads to put on a 355 street engine going in a 4x4 truck? It will be driven everyday. My local shop is pushing a set of procomps but ???? need suggestions thanks
....dont by the procomps....do an AFR, Brodix, Dart, or even Edlebrock heads...JMHO :wink: :wink:
Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM
mep
JOURNEYMAN

Default sbc alum heads

I had a set of both Pro Com alum heads and still have a set of 180/68cc AFR street heads. There is no comparison in the quality, but AFR's are going for almost 1500 new. The people who bought the Pro Comp heads (still on engine) are happy with them but they are not die hard top level racers. On a street motor the Pro Comps should work ok but will not flow even close the name brand heads out of the box. JMO Zip and Hink, what do you think? Mep
Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

dart
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: sbc alum heads

Originally Posted by mep
I had a set of both Pro Com alum heads and still have a set of 180/68cc AFR street heads. There is no comparison in the quality, but AFR's are going for almost 1500 new. The people who bought the Pro Comp heads (still on engine) are happy with them but they are not die hard top level racers. On a street motor the Pro Comps should work ok but will not flow even close the name brand heads out of the box. JMO Zip and Hink, what do you think? Mep
I'm a ProComp dealer and have sold several sets of their heads with no issues to date. If i had the money to spend i would build a complete 496" B/BLK, useing all procomp parts for less than $4,000.00 and i would bet money that it would run in the 9's in my Malibu at 3250 lbs.. Do i sell procomp parts on RJ, or do i advertise them no. WHY :?: because everyone on here bad mouths their parts without first hand knowledge or have not used them and i for one donot want to try to change their mind. I would suggest you stick with what you feel comfortable with, no matter who's brand you choose.

JMO

Zip.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

brodix track I heads. Lots of potential
Mine flowed 322 at .750 lift
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

afr 195s all the way
Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
silverranger
APPRENTICE

i don't understand all the bad rap about procomp heads.i have had 2 sets with no problems. sure they are not the best,but what other head can you get for 650.00 (skip white)and run pretty strong....never buy them direct. i get them from a local speed shop,bare. he puts manley valves,comp springs and 10 degree locks on them. a set of 210,cnc with roller springs go for 1000.00...the new castings,claim to take care of any cracking problems....he did a test with them on his 3200 lbs nova,406 sbc....best with 227 cnc, afr heads was 10.00-1/4 mile....then put the procomps on with the same comb. chamber..the car went 9.90. they can't be that bad...on the other hand,i would'nt put there rocker arms on a lawn mower.fuel pumps either.