camel hump heads

Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

Default camel hump heads

FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO SAY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU TIME AND SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE. I HAVE A 388 SBC NOTHING FANCY FLAT TOP PISTONS I WAS PUTTING IN A 1968 PICKUP. ONE OF MY COWORKERS TRADED ME SOME CAMEL HUMP HEADS ( CASTING 3782461) FOR SOME OLD PARTS I HAD. SOME PEOPLE SAY THESE ARE GOOD HEADS AND OTHERS SAY TO GO WITH THE VORTECHS. I'M NOT TRYING TO BUILD A 600 HP ENGINE BUT IF I WAS TO GO WITH THESE HEADS WHAT CAN I EXPECT. THIS IS A STREET TRUCK FOR PLAYING ON THE WEEKENDS. ARE THESE IDEAL "CAMEL HUMP " HEADS OR WILL I BE WASTING MY TIME ANY INFO WILL BE APPRECIATED
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

i have those exact heads on my 385 and they do well
it runs a 13.46 1/4
but there is alot more to gain by using a smaller combution chamber and higher comression ratio
cus with those ur only gonna have 9 to 1 with flat tops
Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

They are OK depending what you want. For mild street performance they are OK. Vortecs are a little better flowing but thin castings, they can crack easy. If you have to spend any significant money on them in machine work you would be better off buying Dart Sportsman heads.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

so would you recommend going with a different piston or i was even considering getting some port work done im looking for a little over 400 hp is that possible?? thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

well dependin on what all u did to the motor thats very possible
because my motor is pushin about 450 hp
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

the block is a 350 4 bolt main out of a 78 3/4 ton pickup i have a eagle rotating assembly bottom end just looking to put together a nice little street engine for the weekend
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I wouldn't fool with them unless they are cherry already. If you need guides and valves and hardeneed exhaust seats etc...you will sink a bundle in them fast. I for sure wouldn't spend money on port work...there are lots of aftermarket heads available that won't bankrupt you.

JMO