C4 question

Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default C4 question

I know I know I need a glide BUT.....
I have a C4 in the boys mustang and it has a kickdown lever on the shifter arm, I dont have the right carb to hook up the kick down lever at this point so this brings me to my question > will it hurt the tranny by not using it?
Thx Cp
Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

It depends on what has been done to the transmission. If it's set up like the factory C-4 when the kick down is actuated it raises line pressure in the trans. If you don't hook it up the line pressure will be too low at full throttle shifts.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Thx, that's what I thought but wanted a second opinion.
The trans is being rebuilt now, the fluid was burnt up and it was slipping pretty bad when cold.
I already had to pull it once cause there was no high gear after we put the motor in adn everything, "they" ( the 2nd hand speed shop where we bought it) fixed that but then it started slipping after about 2 weeks of driving I wasnt so sure it was ever right.
It did aquire a leak the second go-round so I'm not so sure it wasnt due to the leak and him running it low of fluid, I dont know, I wasnt driving it and the boy tends to lie when he knows he's at fault. All I know is that I had to pull it AGAIN and I took it to my tranny guy yesterday to fix it for good!
I told him what we had in the car and what are plans are so he's doing a hotrod build on it, I'll make sure and tell him that we don't have kickdown provisions so he can make the necessary adjustments there too.
Thx> Charles