i have a serious question....

Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

Default i have a serious question....

alright, my motor started knockin the other day, every thing is new though bearings rods pistons and all, so i pulled the motor and found that three of the oil punp bolts had vibated all the way out, meaning that thee was only one left holding it together, so i put some lock tight on them and put everything back together.
heres he question
can the oil pump cause the knocking i was hearing?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
slickfuel
CRAFTSMAN

QUESTION IS,..WHAT IS CAUSING THE VIBRATION ?????
was the rotating assembl balanced correctly, etc,....
or was it not assembled professionaly

is it a 454 bbc ???
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Oh boy does this post bring back some bad memories, I had a similar experience except mine ended in a destroyed engine. They were probably just lose from the oil pump manufactor (melling of mexico).
Since then I always remove the oil pump cover bolts and generously use red loctite on them. NOTE: They're usually lose or close to it.
The knocking probably was due to the loss of oil pressure, motors tend to do that when they dont have any oil pressure.
I also reccomend a great big low oil pressure warning light positioned at EYE level, another thing I learned tearing that motor up, no oil pressure kills motors in a hurry.
Goodluck, Cp
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: i have a serious question....

Originally Posted by bowhay
heres he question
can the oil pump cause the knocking i was hearing?
Yes, when it doesn't pump any oil and it knocks a bearing out of the bottom end. I would pull the main caps at least and have a look.

Curtis
Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

yes the rotating assembly was balanced
and i checked the mains and few of the rod bearings and they all looked good
it almost sounded like the pump was rattleing around and hitting the oil pan
its a 350 sbc bored and stroked to a 385
Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Bowhay,
I hope that didn't sound like a smart*** answer. How long did this motor run? Glad you could hear it over the exaust. If you don't mind who's pump was this? I have always taken apart new pumps and checked the gear clearance to cap dimension making sure it is .002-.003. I run a machine shop so I know how guys will let tolerances wander. I hope nothing was hurt in your motor.

Curtis
Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

it was just a stock replacement gm high volume pump
was intstalled about a year ago, and i just put it back in
i didnt check the clearance but i didnt think it was necessary beacuase it had run for the entire time that i have had the truck
i really dont know
i just hope that when i get all the electrical hooked back up i can start the motor and it wont knock
Old 03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by doorracer
Bowhay,
I hope that didn't sound like a smart*** answer. How long did this motor run? Glad you could hear it over the exaust. If you don't mind who's pump was this? I have always taken apart new pumps and checked the gear clearance to cap dimension making sure it is .002-.003. I run a machine shop so I know how guys will let tolerances wander. I hope nothing was hurt in your motor.

Curtis
X2 & yes on clearance.Generally,(& I have always found) the clearances are greater than the desired dimension,I might add that I always gently deburr the gears also.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I just added the part about checking the clearance as a std. course of prep that I do on a new pump. This also makes sure the bolts are tight when I put it back together. Sounds like the bolts must have been a little loose and I have heard that high volume pumps will the possibility of chatter or vibration. Not sure how true that is just things that I have heard through the years. I never run a high volume pump myself in a SBC, have never found the need for it with the clearances we run. I hope it doesn't knock also. Good luck.

Curtis
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

What I would like to ask is, was there any metal in the bottom of the oil pan or in the oil filter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -