I HAVE BEEN HAD BY A THEIF

Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
RS69RACE
SHOW GUEST

Default I HAVE BEEN HAD BY A THEIF

I Hope sox ( 160692 )you are happy with my money .I purchased item # 1474903 from him on 3/7/09 . As add states good motor at a great price . Was told he purchased motor from a racer down on his luck and needed cash . So he bought motor to help him out but needed to sell now . As add states it's suppose to have low runs ,comp cam, and such a good running motor that I would be supprised and really happy with it . Well not even 24 hours later after pan was removed to check everything found lobe on cam wiped , motor needs cam bearings , needs rod and main bearings . Cam shaft isn't a comp cams have no idea what it is the only # are 241787 ? tried everything I know can't be found .For a motor that has so few runs it shouldn't need anything . Hank was contacted within 24 hours and told of these problems and more or less told me if I add up all the parts ,I got what I paid for . HUH!!! I didn't answer an add to buy a bunch of parts I laid down green money for a running motor . Tried to give him the benefit of the dought, and to be a man about it . But was told sorry for your luck . His words were what would you like me to do ?I know this isn't the way most racers do each other ,this is a first for me and I won't soon forget it . So looks like I will be sitting out this year again THANKS HANK COLEMAN .
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I cheked out the ad. It does look like a great deal with fresh Chevy Orange paint & over-spray on the intake indicates a quick paint job. So the way I understand this is you got a basically stock SBC with chrome valve covers & a intake w/a decent carb for 2000.00? He was pretty specific aboput the internals too... such as the KB pistons, cam, former alky & gas Et's... etc... i think it is too conveinent for him (Sox) to say he got it from someone else so he could claim ignorance & make his problem yours & pick up some cash along the way. It is too bad, gives us all a bad name when these people rip off others & give LAME stories about "how they did not know" or how it was someone elses & they never took it apart or ran it. I sympathize with you... but here you will probably will hear things like: see it first in person, take off the pan before you buy, if it looks too good to be true then it is, etc... I persoanlly think amoungst each other we should be able to stand behind our word, but that is false with some of these scammers. Again, I am sorry you got a raw deal. Scooter
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I am with you rigsby, that quality paint job stands out like a sore thumb, but regardless, It ain't right.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 AM
DOORSLAMIN
SHOW GUEST

well we went through the same thing with a motor....damn scumbags.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: I HAVE BEEN HAD BY A THEIF

Originally Posted by RS69RACE
I Hope sox ( 160692 )you are happy with my money .I purchased item # 1474903 from him on 3/7/09 . As add states good motor at a great price . Was told he purchased motor from a racer down on his luck and needed cash . So he bought motor to help him out but needed to sell now . As add states it's suppose to have low runs ,comp cam, and such a good running motor that I would be supprised and really happy with it . Well not even 24 hours later after pan was removed to check everything found lobe on cam wiped , motor needs cam bearings , needs rod and main bearings . Cam shaft isn't a comp cams have no idea what it is the only # are 241787 ? tried everything I know can't be found .For a motor that has so few runs it shouldn't need anything . Hank was contacted within 24 hours and told of these problems and more or less told me if I add up all the parts ,I got what I paid for . HUH!!! I didn't answer an add to buy a bunch of parts I laid down green money for a running motor . Tried to give him the benefit of the dought, and to be a man about it . But was told sorry for your luck . His words were what would you like me to do ?I know this isn't the way most racers do each other ,this is a first for me and I won't soon forget it . So looks like I will be sitting out this year again THANKS HANK COLEMAN .
Every motor I have ever sold or car with a fresh motor has the receipts with it; of course that really doesnt matter with this issue. And you can look at prior threads to see how this plays out. Check the Carl Reed thread for example.

You are going to need to print out everything, copies of the ad, communications anything you can and then start going through all the legal channels to try and recover. And the seller is expecting you wont waste your time. This forum is a good place to start.

Might I make a recommendation to the over the Web engine buyers, dealing with private sellers- I would recommend that you get an engine certification when you buy (what it is and what it has). Make up a statement in Word on your computer and send it to the seller to sign and certify and have their signature notarized. Get it back, sign it and have your signature certified. No gaurantees but I think when you end up in court (and theres a 50/50 chance you might) it will be mighty damining to the seller. By the way if they wont give it to you what do you think thats telling you?

Of course you can also avoid the to good to be true engine deals, save your pennies and get a motor from a reputable local builder.

Scorp
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: I HAVE BEEN HAD BY A THEIF

I want to know where you got your time machine ...cause that's 'bout the only way I can think of that you bought the thing this Saturday and then tore it down this Sunday..and then contacted him next Monday...lol :lol:

sorry just kid'n ..I hope you get it worked out...hopefully he will get on here and tell his side of it...cause it sure sounds like he screwed ya...thanks for the warning and sorry it happened to you.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I just checked out the ad and like Rigsby said, he was very specific with parts list.It makes NO DIFFERENCE that he got it from someone else.If he wasn't sure of what was in it then he shouldn't have let on like he did..just because he got screwed doesn't give him the right to pass on the favor. I am gona send him a message telling him how bad this looks and hopefully he will chime in.

EDIT: MESSAGE SENT. Let's see if he will answer.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 AM
RS69RACE
SHOW GUEST

Default The thief

I saw the rattle can overhaul but it's only paint . Didn't buy it because it looked nice, bought it for what it was suppose to be . The thing I can't get over is for something that is suppose to have (LOW RUNS ) as stated in his ad it needs every bearing inside and the cam is wiped . Don't know if the crank can be saved it's already 20 under and doesn't look good . I removed the valve covers and everything looked ok at the timeof purchase, nothing loose or out of place . I should have taken some good advice that was given here and had him crack the pan and I would have seen the cam right off . But he said the pan was full of oil and not to worry . He had seen this motor run at at the track . I knew it had stock crank and rods and but wasn't expecting all the other stuff . Last I talked to him I tried at least trying to get him to pony up for the bearings and even that fell on deaf ears .
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: The thief

I saw the rattle can overhaul but it's only paint . Didn't buy it because it looked nice, bought it for what it was suppose to be . The thing I can't get over is for something that is suppose to have (LOW RUNS ) as stated in his ad it needs every bearing inside and the cam is wiped . Don't know if the crank can be saved it's already 20 under and doesn't look good . I removed the valve covers and everything looked ok at the timeof purchase, nothing loose or out of place . I should have taken some good advice that was given here and had him crack the pan and I would have seen the cam right off . But he said the pan was full of oil and not to worry . He had seen this motor run at at the track . I knew it had stock crank and rods and but wasn't expecting all the other stuff . Last I talked to him I tried at least trying to get him to pony up for the bearings and even that fell on deaf ears .
I would think that since he was so specific in his ad that you would have a pretty good case in court...I know there is no proof that is the engine he sold you but if you had witnesses that were there when you tore it down...?? iduno but in the future your best bet is to only deal with sellers that have made honor payments and such...that don't mean they won't screw ya but it says a little something about how honest they are in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:00 AM
RS69RACE
SHOW GUEST

Default Thief

Another one of lifes leasons learned . And by the way I did have someone with me to pick it up and the same person was there when I found what I found . As far as hearing his side, I don't think he has the nads to own up to the crowd on here let alone talk to me again . He has a habit of loosing phone numbers especially mine . I just thank everybody for their input in this matter and just maybe someone he knows will see this . I know he races at cecil county and his car name is showtime .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -