Mufflers

Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Default Mufflers

Has anyone ran the Dynomax bullet mufflers? I am wanting to put something on mine just to lower the noise inside the car but don't want to spend the money for flows or borlas right now.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
twobad1
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

yes they r ok but sound kinda like a glass pack or strait pipe
i gave mine away,but they do quiet it a little try a collector baffle or
turn-outs they might sound better JMO good luck with that
Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Mufflers are for street cars

If your intention is truly just to quiet the interior then add a turn down to your collectors and point them where the air would hit the ground out side the body line. This alone, (if you have not already done this) will make a huge difference due to the vibration not being transmitted to the sheet metal interior and driving you crazy. This muffler idea my be over kill and slow you down in the process. Just wanted to offer an effective and inexpensive option that may solve your complaint without the weight, bulk and cost of mufflers.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

put some 5 inch DYNOMAX bullets ON MY collectors late last year...did tone it down..but sounds great...many claims this 5 inch mufflers will not slow you down..when you look at them in person you will see why..really not much restriction there.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Chris,

I have not tried them. My buddy has them on his 440 though. They sound good & are pretty decent inside his car too w/ the noise. I think they are NOT the glass filled ones, so that is good. I made the mistake once of running the hookers.... they suck & blew out being glass filled. Good luck
Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

PURPLE HORNIES !!!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Ya i run them on my car they do help quit it down a bit and they did not slow my car down at all .
Pretty much just a straight pipe with a little bit of a baffle in them you can see straight thru them but they work good for me.

The best thing i like about them you can hear things happening in the car it did save me some major damage when i came out of the water box i heard some grinding noise at first i thought i broke the rear end so we back off towed back to the trailer come to find out i broke a tooth off of the planetary if i had launched the car it would have really been bad so ya they are good for a lot more than just noise.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for all the input. I am going to try them. Not only for the noise but like rlmotorsports said to help be able to hear those unwanted noises we have to hear every once in a while.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

ron is right..when running straight headers in the past i have ran ear plugs inside my helmet just to be able to hear my car working.
running ear plugs is very popular with roundy round racers.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "