8 / 139 starter info needed...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Default 8 / 139 starter info needed...

My trusty TCI flexplate / Tilton starter combo has let me down.

My motor is 14.7:1 compression. I was looking into the 8 tooth starter 139 tooth ring gear combo for my motor. I see where I can get the flexplate but there is not a price on the conversion kit.

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful. I am not into fighting the starter all year.

My dist is the small cap MSD and it is not locked down. It cranks at about 18 degrees of timing. I spin the motor with the button and then turn the ignition on.

Thank you....
Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 8 / 139 starter info needed...

Originally Posted by DragsterJosh
My trusty TCI flexplate / Tilton starter combo has let me down.

My motor is 14.7:1 compression. I was looking into the 8 tooth starter 139 tooth ring gear combo for my motor. I see where I can get the flexplate but there is not a price on the conversion kit.

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful. I am not into fighting the starter all year.

My dist is the small cap MSD and it is not locked down. It cranks at about 18 degrees of timing. I spin the motor with the button and then turn the ignition on.

Thank you....
Lock that dist down this I ams ure is the main reason. Also in most cases I've seen turning it over then hitting ign on causes more issues then it helps.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I went to the 139 tooth JW Wheel and Bulitpruf starter, it has been flawless. You can get the kit to convert a Hitachi starter if you have one, or buy it complete. You will stop breaking parts. Locking the timing would be a good idea, not much need for a curve in your case.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

I hadnt thought about it, but could the timing be jumping around and hurting my cause.

I will get it locked down. Do you use the start retard with it locked down? I think 25 degrees of start retrad would be too much when I am only running 35 degrees total. I thought about setting up a switch to use one of the retards in the box to go back 15 degrees or so.

I appreciate your input here this is my first venture into high compression, my other stuff was only like 12.5:1.

I have a Tilton Super starter. I was thinking about putting a JW wheel on there, in there 168 tooth. I stumbled on the 8 /139 stuff and thought maybe that would be better. Would the 168 tooth wheel and tilton starter be fine locked down?

Thanks Again
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Josh no need to use the msd start retard, it actually takes to much timing out also causing to fire on top of each other making it kick back also.

I've used the JW wheel before, have it on the shelf after it broke a tooth off, now run just a cheapers TCI, remember if its powdercoated grind it off for all bolts.