POR 15 vs. ALL Metal

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 AM
psgoodrich
SHOW GUEST

Default POR 15 vs. ALL Metal

I have a difficult area to repair on my 70 Nova. Windshield channel above the windshield. I would like to weld it but am afraid to distort the roof line edge just above the trim piece. I am considering patching it with POR15 paint and body products or all metal.
What advice can you give me.
Thanks
Paul
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

If it's a rare keeper, use metal. If not then less effective repairs.
IMHO
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM
markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Are you talking about the water proof bondo called "all metal"? I have tried that years ago and it didn't work out. The right way is to weld in metal where the holes are. Anything other than that will not last. Use a bucket of water, some water soaked rags and weld a very small section at a time. That should minimize the distorting. Heat is what causes the warp, so try to go slow and keep as cool as possible. Someone even makes a putty heat sink material you can place on the roof skin. It will keep the heat from transmitting. Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 AM
tattooedsgt
SHOW GUEST

I agree with welding in new metal. Just protect the metal with POR-15 or a epoxy primer after its welded and it'll last.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: POR 15 vs. ALL Metal

Originally Posted by psgoodrich
I have a difficult area to repair on my 70 Nova. Windshield channel above the windshield. I would like to weld it but am afraid to distort the roof line edge just above the trim piece. I am considering patching it with POR15 paint and body products or all metal.
What advice can you give me.
Thanks
Paul
Weld in a patch.

If your not inclined to do that- POR makes something called POPpatch which is an excellent epoxy. If you are just using straight POR 15, use it over fiberglass mat.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
turbowife
SHOW GUEST

We have used Por 15 on two of our cars and it worked great. One in the t-top channel above the windshield where GM seems to not get good drain holes. We cleaned the area out used there patch kit and epoxy putty and went back over it with there coating. I think they sell a kit now that has everything you need in it. At this point, my husband and I swear by it.
Jennifer
TURBOWIFE