rev kit

Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Default rev kit

planning a new motor for 2010 will be a roller motor
385 forged with brodix track 1 heads
625 lift roller cam

are rev kits a thing of the past, or do some of you still use them on roller valvetrains?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

a few guys that told me I needed this were circle track guys,
I bracket race 1/4 mile and will shift around 7000-7200 thats the plan
Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Rev kits are the best way to free up your valve train and keep it under control using lower spring pressures at the valve. Lifters last twice as long with them. The issue is the push rod angles on most engines are too great and do not permit the install of them on many engines. If you have one, and run the set up by your cam manufacturer, they will be able to inform you what spring pressures you will require at the valve and in the valley. Don't be scarred of the rev kit. they are worth looking at if you can use one.
But you don't need one for that RPM unless you want to use one. Springs are a lot better now a days and are very reliable which makes the rev kit less attractive for most engine builders.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

You don't need one as long as you have the correct valve springs but it don't hurt...extra insurance to keep the roller on the cam.If you float a roller you can lose the whole engine. I had A lifter fail on a BBC and it cracked the block.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

the onlr reason im running a rev kit is incase a pushrod breaks it will hold the lifter down in the block. help to keep from loosing oil pressure and messing a cam and lifter up
Old 02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

The reason for using a rev kit is to prolong the life of your valve train. Some engine builders have found out higher spring pressure makes more HP and higher revs. The downside is that when you run over 300lb of spring pressure your valve train doesn't last as long. The bad thing is most engine builders want every single HP to look better to the competiton. If you run a rev kit you can run around 200 to 220lb of spring pressure. The rev kit will be good for around 40 to 50lb of extra spring pressure. As you can see your valve train will last alot longer with 220lb of spring pressure compared to 300lb and up. The downside is you have to run horizontal roller lifters and you have something else to go wrong. I have gotten away on my last 2 engines, mainly because many of the other parts I'm replacing sooner, but when I did run one, my valve springs and valve train lasted twice as long. For a budjet race engine I'd say yes, and for a high dollar race engine no. JMO