g-body manual steering ???

Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default g-body manual steering ???

I INSTALLED A MANUAL BOX FOR A S-10 IN MY MONTE CARLO.
WHAT PITMAN ARM SHOULD I USE THE MONTE ARM IS TO BIG WERE IT GOES ON THE BOTTOM.I LOOKED AT ONE FOR A POWER STEERING S-10 AND IT WAS TO BIG WERE IT GOES ON THE BOTTOM BUT IT LOOKED TO SHORT WERE IT GOES ON THE TIE ROD OR MAYBE IT JUST LOOKED SHORT AS I DID NOT HAVE THE MONTE ONE TO COMPARE..HELP ME PLEASE...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds to me like the worse that can happen if it's little shorter, is a longer turning radious, which would slow a steering problem on the track. I don't know what's on mine but it's a maneul box.

Zip.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:54 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

so,who knows what pitman arm i should use?the manual box according to unisteer is a gm 525 box.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

If you are not looking for a part # and are willing to work for the part, you can take the one that is on the S10 box and cut the arm off of it about one inch out from the splined end that fits the box. Then cut the original pitman arm that you removed from your car in such a way that it can be welded to the new pitman arm splined piece, attempting to copy the original one with the new splined end for your manual box. It is as simple as it seems, I have done it that way on every one I have installed. The Regal could be ordered with manual steering, and dam few were made. However I will bet your parts yard will not have ever seen one, so this is probably your only option, besides the option 2 that Zip correctly pointed out is likely the only other way you can go.
When you get to the manual brakes, you will end up making your own pedal out of the original power brake lever as well, if you want the pedal where your foot wants it. The leverage ratio needs to be changed from power brakes and that is why the custom pedal is the best way to go.
I thought I would throw the brake pedal lever in the mix so you get mentally adapted to making your own parts. :wink:
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
APPRENTICE

Default steering box

Put a s10 box on my Cutlass and didn't do anything but bolt it on. Used the arm from the s10. Steers fine. As for manual brakes I used a kit to mount a wilwood master cyl. and only mod to the pedal was drilling a new hole 3/8in up from the original. Hits the first return rd everywhere I go. Go to maliburacing.com. Parts and answers you need can be found there.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: steering box

Originally Posted by 348409
Put a s10 box on my Cutlass and didn't do anything but bolt it on. Used the arm from the s10. Steers fine. As for manual brakes I used a kit to mount a wilwood master cyl. and only mod to the pedal was drilling a new hole 3/8in up from the original. Hits the first return rd everywhere I go. Go to maliburacing.com. Parts and answers you need can be found there.
That is all good, but I just wanted to save a guy some bucks and show how to do the job yourself and not purchase the assembly that any one can make easily. Any one can purchase about anything one can think of, but making the part frees up financing for other things that are not worth making. That's was the point of my entry...........
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm not sure it will work for everyone, but i have 9" big ford bolt on disk brakes on the back, and the stock GM's on the front. i took off the power brake unit, and mounted the same master cylinder to the fire wall drilling the necessary alienment holes for the master cylinder. The push rod worked out to the right length, and the pedal was in the same position/height as with the it was with the power brake booster sandwiched in between. I did nothing else, and the car will stop anywhere without excessive brake pressure. It only runs 125 in the QTR. and about 103 in the 1/8, but here in the south we have some crazy backwoods tracks with not much stopping area and i've never had a probable at all stopping. I left the stock equaliser in line.

O'h and the manuel steering box looks like an S10 unit i didn't check the #'s, but looks to be.

It worked for me.

Zip.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

BORGESON MAKES A MANUAL 525 KIT WITH PITMAN ARM FOR G-BODY CARS AND THEY SELL JUST THE PITMAN ARM I GOT ONE AND IT WORKS PERFECT,NOW OFF TO GET A ROLL BAR.