Hydraulic oil question?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
TNMAN
SHOW GUEST

Default Hydraulic oil question?

Who is using this in slower doorcars? I have talked to a couple of people that use it but they are running fast dragsters. Also exactly what fluid are you using,the amsoil synthetic looks good because it has anti-foaming agents in it just wondering who is using it and what there using.There are several different types of hydraulic oil out there.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:45 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've run plain ol' type F in mine forever, in 11-8 second cars, freshen trans evry 200 runs or so, and have never seen any significant wear. A buddy of mine runs dexron with same results. He's tried synthetics, but didn't notice any wear or performance improvements. If you have a high horespower turbo car, or a combo that really smokes the fluid, then hydraulic oil might be the way to go. For the rest of us, it's much "to-do" over nothin' or just a good way to spend more money IMO.........
Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

It is a matter if opinion and preference.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
TNMAN
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for responce's the reason I was going to try it is both of the guys I talked to said there trans ran 25 degree's cooler and the clutch's and steels looked new I'll be doulbing up a car this year so if hyd oil works like some say it will be very helpfull in keeping the temp down.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

I run hydraulic oil in my race tranny and also run it in a stock street truck.I use the cheap Super Tech fluid from Walmart since it is easy to get.The kind to look for is the universal tractor and transmission hydraulic oil.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I run it too. AW32 Tractor-Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid.
It is only about $7.50 a Gallon and my Powerglide looked new after a season of racing. Mine is an S10.. :wink:
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

What kind of heat difference did you guys see and what did you switch from ?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I don't have a gauge on my trans. I know the old Type F seemsed to smell burnt alot and this Hydraulic Fluid smells and looks like I just pored it in.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

I switched from regular transmission fluid but i don't have a temp. gauge on mine either.I have been running hydraulic oil since 2006.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Ok heres a question, say I got regular tranny fluid in my trans already- and I want to start using hydralic fluid.
Do I have to take the tranny out remove and drain the converter, flush everything out before using the different fluid, or will they mix?
Thx Cp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -