Consistancy and reliability...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Birddog95
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Consistancy and reliability...

So I was talking with a few guys on the weekend and this came up. A few of the guys were saying that the tall deck mototrs are not as reliable as the short deck motors (ie 632 VS. 565). They were saying stuff like tighter clearances etc... tends to cause a short life of the bigger motors where as a 540-565 can run 150- 250 passes before freshening. I didn't think that there was any difference in reliability (unless a poor engine builder didn't have the right clearances) and that the bigger motors would be more consistant (ET wise) and more reliable (life span) because the motors would be not working as hard. Any one like to comment????
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

rpm is what kills motors, these guys with the td big inch stuff tend to want to spin them like a little small block and thats why everyone thinks they dont live as long.

Pick a giving ET say 8.00 in a 2700lb door car, its going to take more rpm and pushing the limits for a 540 to 565 to get there when a 582/598/605/615/622/632 would make more hp/tq and you could run it at less rpm and it'll love longer.

The only thing I dislike about a tall deck is the long rod but still buy no truth in a smaller CI living longer then the big CI with good parts in both to start from. 250 passes is when I start to take mine apart and look this year I freshened mine and it looked like new and its 582.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with David. Also the more HP your putting toward your parts the quicker they will wear out. Rods and bearing will last longer if you only have 400hp compared to 1000hp.