Mech. Pump w/tank up front?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 AM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

Default Mech. Pump w/tank up front?

Just curious if anyone has ever run a Mech. Fuel pump in a dragster with the fuel tank 7 feet away from the pump? I was a little worried about the length of the line being too much. Also...my pump has an external bypass and i was going to tee the return line in about a foot before the pump (instead of running a line all the way back to the tank). Has anyone else done this before, or see a problem with it?
Any thoughts appreciated

Later,
D
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM
feenst
JOURNEYMAN

Thats how our front engine dragster was and it was always hard to start.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Will it work yes but does take some work to make it right, a motor tens to run out of fuel up high when its up front. You should run the return back to the fuel cell.

My suggestion to make it 100% correct put a fuel cell under the seat and 2ft away from the fuel pump. Do you have room to put it there ?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

It will work fine. Just make sure your using a big enough line to the pump.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Thats how my dragster is! I have a huge AN line fron the tank!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
ImBack
MASTER BUILDER

Thats how my Malibu was -10 line 12 or 14' or so? To mechanical Pro-Cam pump to the carb Bg bypass regulator -8 return to tank.Fed a 600 hp 383 the last 2 years.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

My plan was to run a -10 AN line from the tank to the pump.....and by everyone's comments it's worked for most of you.

About the return line....my origanal thought was to run another line back to the tank. But after i thought about it, what is the difference if i run it to the tank or tee it in just before the pump. Really....there should be more fuel feeding the pump if the return line is feeding fuel directly back to the pump.

I've never tried it.....is there anyone who has, or know why it won't work?

Again...thanks for everyone's help and comments on the topic.

D
Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Will it work yes but does take some work to make it right, a motor tens to run out of fuel up high when its up front. You should run the return back to the fuel cell.

My suggestion to make it 100% correct put a fuel cell under the seat and 2ft away from the fuel pump. Do you have room to put it there ?
I really don't have enough room under the seat, because the radiator is laying down directly behind the seat. It's a Cameron chassis, and I believe they are all built like this.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by degnitz_3732
My plan was to run a -10 AN line from the tank to the pump.....and by everyone's comments it's worked for most of you.

About the return line....my origanal thought was to run another line back to the tank. But after i thought about it, what is the difference if i run it to the tank or tee it in just before the pump. Really....there should be more fuel feeding the pump if the return line is feeding fuel directly back to the pump.

I've never tried it.....is there anyone who has, or know why it won't work?

Again...thanks for everyone's help and comments on the topic.

D
Enderle sells a stainless loop line, tied to the bypass pill body and comes back in, in before the pump, lot's of people use them on injected motors, so i don't know why your plan would not work.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by degnitz_3732
Originally Posted by hammertime

I really don't have enough room under the seat, because the radiator is laying down directly behind the seat. It's a Cameron chassis, and I believe they are all built like this.
I don't know what all would be easier, but I just moved my radiator from behind my seat to over the trans, overall it was an easy move and left me alot of room between the engine and seat.