Thread: Mech. Pump w/tank up front?

Mech. Pump w/tank up front?

Just curious if anyone has ever run a Mech. Fuel pump in a dragster with the fuel tank 7 feet away from the pump? I was a little worried about the length of the line being too much. Also...my pump has an external bypass and i was going to tee the return line in about a foot before the pump (instead of running a line all the way back to the tank). Has anyone else done this before, or see a problem with it?
    Any thoughts appreciated

Later,
    D

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    Thats how our front engine dragster was and it was always hard to start.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Will it work yes but does take some work to make it right, a motor tens to run out of fuel up high when its up front. You should run the return back to the fuel cell.

My suggestion to make it 100% correct put a fuel cell under the seat and 2ft away from the fuel pump. Do you have room to put it there ?
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

It will work fine. Just make sure your using a big enough line to the pump.

Thats how my dragster is! I have a huge AN line fron the tank!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Thats how my Malibu was -10 line 12 or 14' or so? To mechanical Pro-Cam pump to the carb Bg bypass regulator -8 return to tank.Fed a 600 hp 383 the last 2 years.

My plan was to run a -10 AN line from the tank to the pump.....and by everyone's comments it's worked for most of you.

About the return line....my origanal thought was to run another line back to the tank. But after i thought about it, what is the difference if i run it to the tank or tee it in just before the pump. Really....there should be more fuel feeding the pump if the return line is feeding fuel directly back to the pump.

I've never tried it.....is there anyone who has, or know why it won't work?

Again...thanks for everyone's help and comments on the topic.

D

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Will it work yes but does take some work to make it right, a motor tens to run out of fuel up high when its up front. You should run the return back to the fuel cell.

My suggestion to make it 100% correct put a fuel cell under the seat and 2ft away from the fuel pump. Do you have room to put it there ?
    I really don't have enough room under the seat, because the radiator is laying down directly behind the seat. It's a Cameron chassis, and I believe they are all built like this.

Quote Originally Posted by degnitz_3732
    My plan was to run a -10 AN line from the tank to the pump.....and by everyone's comments it's worked for most of you.

About the return line....my origanal thought was to run another line back to the tank. But after i thought about it, what is the difference if i run it to the tank or tee it in just before the pump. Really....there should be more fuel feeding the pump if the return line is feeding fuel directly back to the pump.

I've never tried it.....is there anyone who has, or know why it won't work?

Again...thanks for everyone's help and comments on the topic.

D
    Enderle sells a stainless loop line, tied to the bypass pill body and comes back in, in before the pump, lot's of people use them on injected motors, so i don't know why your plan would not work.

JMO

Zip.

Quote Originally Posted by degnitz_3732
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime

I really don't have enough room under the seat, because the radiator is laying down directly behind the seat. It's a Cameron chassis, and I believe they are all built like this.
    I don't know what all would be easier, but I just moved my radiator from behind my seat to over the trans, overall it was an easy move and left me alot of room between the engine and seat.