671 blower HELP!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:36 PM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

Default 671 blower HELP!!!

my blown 355 is making allot dark blue smoke, I am running blower prepped 750 edelbrocks with 9 psi, the engine is fresh, bowtie ported heads, forged flat top pistons, 9.1 compression, I checked the plugs and they are clean, looks as if the engine is running too lean, oil is clean, antifreeze is clean, anybody have any ideas???, I have not run the engine hard, I am affraid of the smoke!!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:45 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Smoke

Black smoke would indicate too rich of a fuel mixture. Blue smoke indicates oil burning.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

its the front seals in the blower, there bad and the smoke is whatever oil is in the front of the blower leaking into the engine. Is it a gmc blower?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

who has advised running 9psi fuel pressure ?..its a wonder the seats in the carbs are not blowing out.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by kwkracing
its the front seals in the blower, there bad and the smoke is whatever oil is in the front of the blower leaking into the engine. Is it a gmc blower?
It is a weiand 671 blower
Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

it is a weiand 671 blower, and it seems as if it is leaking from the bottom of the front plate
Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

How old is the blower?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 AM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

How old is the blower?
It was suppoesed to have been rebuilt, now I am begening to wonder, how would one tell?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Nine lbs back it off to 6

If one is not carefull when replacing the gaskets on the blowers they will crimp. Loosen cover just enough to take a look. This will be a messy process, set the blower up so you can let the gear lube drain over night, clean up the area around the gasket seal really good, reinstall the gasket with a smig of rtv and slightly snug, but don't tighten. wait 24 hours and torque to spec's
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

lol, theres not much to replace in a blower. 4 bearings, 4 seals, some gaskets and aerobic sealer. AS long as the blower does not appear to be self destructing inside the clearances are probably close if someone had it apart. They are pretty simple. so is this a old detroit blower with weiand endplates? Can you upload a pic?
If the engine started smoking blue and the the enginge has no problems, its the seals. Seals can also be damaged when some one slides them on in a rebuild. If you bought it on ebay, i see plenty of people take a stock wore out blower apart, put it right back together and say its rebuilt. A wore out blower is still a good start .I guess if its leaking out the front cover, it would be hard for you to monitor the oil level in the blower. Is this a street car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -