427 SBC question

Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default 427 SBC question

My production company is doing a video of a resto-mod on a 1980 Corvette. We have decided on a SBC. Initially a 383. Then, the idea of a bigger SBC came up. Why not do a 427 SBC since that's a magic number for Vette enthusiasts? I don't know much about these big inch SBC's. What we're after is an engine that makes good low RPM power. We will be using a Richmond ROD 6 speed, which has the overdrive 6th gear. The idea is the engine can cruise when in 6th and get an acceptable MPG, but maybe have an RPM ceiling of 6K, and make good HP when reved. Please, your thought would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

my initial thoughts on this are to use an aftermarket block that will bore easily & safely to 4.250" & use a 400 style crank 3.750"stroke.You would then have an almost identical bore stroke & cubes to a BBChev in a small block package.A combo like this sidesteps any need for small base circle cams etc etc.6k rpm no problem,reliably.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default Thanks!

Lets say you were able to get very good low rpm power out of such an engine. And you able to gear the car to cruise freeway at 60-65 in the 1800-2000 RPM range. Could you get a decent MPG? Maybe 18-20? Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 427, a couple things you have to do. 1st, for a street motor you would want to use a 2" small journal rod for clearance to avoid excessive grinding. If you do that you might get away with using a standard base circle cam as the rod come close. Mine used a 2.100 rod, .850 base circle roller cam, .300 taller lifters, and some touch up grinding on the block and rods. With the right cam you could cruise at 1500-2000 no problem.