Loose fuel line

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Default Loose fuel line

My dad and my bro were working on my altered yesterday. They ran it completely out of fuel. So they opened the fuel cell and my brother shined a flashlight in to take a look. The nut and washer for the bottom fuel line were laying in the bottom of the cell. :shock:
Nothing holding the line in at all. Who knows how long it had been that way. Probably since the last owner. Not good on a front engine car. I could've ended up doing my best John Force imitation.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Or worse, you might not have been wearing the SFI-20 stuff.

Zip.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

I hope you told the both of them thanks for running it out of gas. You sure are lucky.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Slomo-

Glad you did not torch yourself broham. That is a spooky story... you got some angels around you. Scoot
Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I'M glad you didn't use a LIGHTER to look into that tank !! :shock: ops: ops: ops:
Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Or worse, you might not have been wearing the SFI-20 stuff.

Zip.
I wear /5. I'm on gas, no power adder, and the car does have a firewall. The car only runs 6.30's in the 1/8.
I have been wearing /1 gloves but was already planning on upgrading to the /5 before this was found.
The funny thing is NHRA rules say since the car has a firewall, I could race in sneakers if i wanted. :shock: I don't. I wear G-Force shoes. I did see a guy a Gateway get out of a roadster in penny loafers once.

I just hope people who read this will check theirs.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

You are a lucky Man Slowmotion, I have previously found wires that were twist tied and taped, that I intended to be temporary, that were in my ignition feed for 6 years once. The off season sure can be productive for safety, if I just take the time to check over all those things that I am sure are perfect.
I am glad you were so lucky to find that problem before it showed it self.
Great food for thought
:shock:
Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm just as guilty as other people on saftey issues and it's never fool proof what can happen on a pass. Ref: a friend of mine here in La. runs a 66 Nova, runs 5.30's/5.40's on Alcohol SFI-5 also, firewall included,full windsheild,etc, T&T day 2007. His daughter filled the front mounted tank. She forgot to lock the cap down, about 400 ft. out the cap rattled off, fuel sipohened out of the tank hit the headers, massive fire and he wasn't wearing his gloves. By the time he got the cars stopped, he had to kick the glass door off, the whole front end melted down he had 3 degree burns on his hands and wrists. he's been racing over 30 yrs. you just never can see it comming. I've been wearing an open face helment, that will change this year, even though they are legal in my class.

Zip.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Slomo-

Glad you did not torch yourself broham. That is a spooky story... you got some angels around you. Scoot
I hope that angel had fun riding along and holding that line in on all those passes.