building a new garage

Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default building a new garage

:? Im building a new garage in my back yard 32x42 and any suggestion on the different type of sealers to use on the concrete blocks and the floors. :?: :wink: rob
Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

I would epoxy the floor. If you seal it with a sealer and want to epoxy it later. you would have to sandblast the floor first or they call( it shot bein) which is costly. I found that out from expierence. Another thing I found out from expierence NO matter how big you build it . the barn will be to small. LOL GOOD LUCK
Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

when they pour the concrete floor just have them put a sealer on then-LET IT DRY BEFORE YOU WALK ON IT!!!
AFTER THE BLOCKS HAVE SET AND DRIED FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS [THEY SHOULD LOOK AND FEEL COMPLETELY DRY] THEN YOU CAN JUST PAINT THEN TO KEEP STUFF FROM SOAKING IN
BE SURE AND FILL THE CONCRETE BLOCKS WITH GROUTING OR MORTAR ALSO-IT MAKES A MUCH MORE SOLID WALL AND KEEPS THE TEMPS BETTER IN THE BUILDING[WINTER AND SUMMER]
NOT BEING PUSHY --THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING FOR A LIVING FOR THE LAST 35 YEARS 8)

IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO BURN YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT ONE OF THE TILE FLOORS IN IT YOU SEE IN THE MAGAZINES
ANY OTHER ??? JUST ASK
LIVELY
Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with blowninjected on the epoxy paint. And if the finish on the concrete is real smooth you can sprinkle the paint chips on the paint as you go. Looks nice and keeps you from slipping if the floor gets wet.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Lively is right if you just want to "seal" the floor.(just let the finishers spray on the sealer after they pour the concrete.) Or you can do it just use a pump up sprayer for the sealer. But if you want to paint it you would need to "etch" the concrete floor with muratic acid or have it shot blasted and then you could use a concrete stain or use an epoxy finish.
On the block ,go to Sherwin-Williams or paint store in your area and get some latex block filler (we spray it on and back roll it) to get it in the pores of the block good to seal it then just paint a good coat of exterior latex paint and be done. There is also a product called UGL to water seal but the block filler is cheaper. That is what we use on shopping centers and such. Just painting it will not seal it (never mind looks bad with all the block holes showing) The block filler here is about 7 bucks a gallon but it only goes about 75 sq. ft a gallon.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

when i built mine the guys i had pour my concrete put sealer on it as they were finishing it. works good its slick when wet though :shock: good luck and 540 is wright never big enough mine's 30x60
Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

My garage is 20x40 and we outgrew it a long time ago.I wish i had a 40x60.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I HAVE USED THE ULG STUFF AND IT WORKS VERY WELL--BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT ANY PAINT/ SEALER/ EPOXY OR WATERPROOFING STUFF CAN BE VERY EXPLOSIVE AROUND SPARKS AND CAN ALSO SEND YOU ON A :lol: :lol: HAPPY ; FLOATING; MIND BLOWING TRIP :lol: :lol: :lol: IF YOU DON'T HAVE GOOOOD VENTILATION :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
BEEN THERE /DONE THAT :lol: :lol: IT WAS NEET BUT MAN THE BRAINCELLS I BURNED UP ops: :lol:
LIVELY
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by lively
I HAVE USED THE ULG STUFF AND IT WORKS VERY WELL--BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT ANY PAINT/ SEALER/ EPOXY OR WATERPROOFING STUFF CAN BE VERY EXPLOSIVE AROUND SPARKS AND CAN ALSO SEND YOU ON A :lol: :lol: HAPPY ; FLOATING; MIND BLOWING TRIP :lol: :lol: :lol: IF YOU DON'T HAVE GOOOOD VENTILATION :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
BEEN THERE /DONE THAT :lol: :lol: IT WAS NEET BUT MAN THE BRAINCELLS I BURNED UP ops: :lol:
LIVELY
Yea me too! But it is not like I had a lot of cells to start with.
The latex is not bad but the oil paints and 2 part epoxy is rough. :cry:
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

If ya can't go OUT for more room, go UP. With all those fumes going on you'll be REALLy up anyway.......You''ll be waaaaay too small after ya move your stuff in ! I'm in 7200sf now and have already outgrown it. The more room ya have, the more stuff ya get...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -