Which cam?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 AM
mikenpam
SHOW GUEST

Default Which cam?

Ive got a 81 monte carlo, 3:73 rear gear, 29" tall tire, turbo 350 trans, 327c.i. engine bored .040 w/flat-top pistons, de-stroked to 306c.i. ( it hink thats the correct #) pro toplink cnc heads w/2.080 valves. Edelbrock performer RPM intake and Holley 650 double pumper. engine came w/ 270 crane magnum cam. How much larger should I go to be able to take advantage of the engines RPM range. I'm willing to put in a stall converter. Car is primarily street driven. i believe the heads are 64 cc chamber.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 AM
kbartley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default which cam

is the engine apart? the 270 cam is a good cam along w/ you're 650 for everyday street use. but a 2.08 int. valve,wow, those heads must have a good size port. are you driving this car everyday? Kris
Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

IMO, with that small displacement, fairly large street cam for a 306, & big heads, you'd have to gear the heck out of it for it to get out of it's own way. You'd be better off, on the street especially, with smaller cam & heads or much more cid.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
onedragracer
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by johnracer
IMO, with that small displacement, fairly large street cam for a 306, & big heads, you'd have to gear the heck out of it for it to get out of it's own way. You'd be better off, on the street especially, with smaller cam & heads or much more cid.
I agree with johnracer, the small displacement isn't taking advantage of the big valves, unless your turning alot of RPMs.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Ontario350
APPRENTICE

I have a similar question.

81 Z28 just for driving around and presently makes ok power.

1970 350 installed 2 years ago a St. Catharine's block I checked numbers to trace it. ( Parisienne/ Nova engines ) This was rebuilt when installed and has mild cam with a lumpy idle to it. The Cam & Heads I have no clue yet what they are since I bought it last August and had no time to tear it open yet. Has new 650 Edelbrock on a nice big intake atop, I changes Dist to a MSD since old one leaked oil down back. ( all dry now and clean everywhere )

Comes equipped with a 350TB tran, 3200 stall but the rear end is real high ratio. I am guessing .418 since I am spinning RPM on highway just to go 65 mph/ 100 kph in Ontario. ( this I want to change at some point since I don't race )

Without knowing the Cam or Heads it's tough to decide what to do but have talked with a seller on this site already who suggested a few things.

488/488 Cam, Springs, Port Heads which he says should get my RPM up.

Right now it floats out way to early and not nearly high enough RPM.

Will this engine work add some RPM you experts. I have a budget so we decided the cheapest route at this point for the biggest bang. ( $1500 )

I know bigger heads would be ideal but that's another 1,000 bucks.

My goal is the get this Zed from a 270 to 300 hp car into something closer to a 340 hp car. ( I have my reasons , Damn Mustangs )

Thanks in advance.

Shawn