Cloyes hex adjust

Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Default Cloyes hex adjust

Has anybody had any or heard of any problems with the top gear not staying tight due to a heat treating problem?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I use Hex-a-just on every engine i have build for the last 10 yrs. that doesn't have a belt drive and the only probem i've had was the excentic bushing cracked on one big block setup. The tech at Cloyes told me they had batch of bushings that were heat treated bad, and sent me 2 replacements, overnite USPS no charge. The only thing he ask me too do was email him a pic of the cracked bushing to show the mechine shop forman. I emailed the pic. on wensday about 3:00pm, got the new ones in thursdays mail. I have replaced chains after a couple hundred runs, Jegs. stocks them.

I do use the small O.D. lock washers on the allen head screws that fit in the machined out c'bored slots, so i haven't had any come loose that i know of.

Zip.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Cloyes hex adjust

Originally Posted by BEAST477
Has anybody had any or heard of any problems with the top gear not staying tight due to a heat treating problem?
A local 131 builder claimed he had a lot of this failure this year not that he is wrong or right but 100's of others were sold and didnt break ??
Old 01-23-2009, 03:29 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah David thats what i heard too so i was just checking. I've heard of no others except the same situation you're talking about. Seems strange :? .
Thanks Zip makes me feel better.
Thanks Mike
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Like I said he may be right but I've also ran them for years without any trouble and actually know a few who purchased new ones last year and ran them without issue. I think the install might of been wrong on them but couldnt know for sure, lost count how many motors broke all with the same issue :wink:
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I never used the hex adj but the other one they make is a better design in my opinion...adjusts like a belt drive with slotted holes.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:59 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Like I said he may be right but I've also ran them for years without any trouble and actually know a few who purchased new ones last year and ran them without issue. I think the install might of been wrong on them but couldnt know for sure, lost count how many motors broke all with the same issue :wink:
I heard the number was at three.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I never used the hex adj but the other one they make is a better design in my opinion...adjusts like a belt drive with slotted holes.
Yeah Tod i've looked at the one you're talking about. Think it's the quick adjust where you dont have to back off the valvetrain to change your cam timing. I don't know why i didn't buy that one to begin with.