Need some advise Guys...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Need some advise Guys...

i wanted to post this for everyone to give their input.

I have ran alcohol Blown stuff in the past and know the difference what a good HP cam vs blower cam does for the blown Stuff.

I have purchased a 69 camaro with a 10:1 compression SBC 406ci with Iron Eagle heads 2.02.1.60 215/220 runners..Its got a flat Tappet cam shaft ( do not have Cam Card) but its a Mild cam i was told around the 520 lift range..its Mild little street cam that is very responsive...so i can only guess its probably 106 maybe 107 centerline...the engine made 460hp on the dyno with 450 ft lbs of TQ

Anyhow i do not plan on taking engine down. i will change some valve springs for sure..and take some gear out of it..its currently got 26x10's with a 12 bolt rear and 4.56 gear with 350 turbo tranny...so she turns the RPMS on the road...to much for me...gonna back the gear up to a 3.90 to 4.10 ( tops).

I have always wanted a small under the hood street Blower ( 142 or 144)

My questions are this.

1- would i need to replace the camshaft with a Blower Grind for 6 to 8 lbs of Boost..Would it make that Big of a difference or am i wasting time and Money here....i know if you run all engine on a Nos camshaft it Kills the hp on an engine (Without activating the Nos or Blower)..same principle with a blower profile camshaft...so i DO NOT want to kill or back up the hp on the engine to lets say to 400 hp by placing a blower grind cam and only make 480 with Blower..that would not be practical in my eyes....now if i back up the engine to 400 hp with the cam change and it makes 550hp with Blower..now this is all worth the while IMO.

Also thoughts on cam profile...including Hydraulic roller or Solid.

the car will be weekend street cruise inn's and drive to track and make pass...

2- Being that the engine made 460hp on pump gas as it is what can i expect from 8 lbs of boost from the low profile 144.

3- Just by looking at the rear end it looks like there is too much pinion angle. LOOKS WAY IN THE POSITIVE..i have not placed my pinion angle gauge on it yet but it looks like a Lot......What woud be a good compromise on the degree of pinion angle should I have to jerk the rear end out to re-locate those pads?
the car is stock suspension with sub-frame tied in with slapper bars..

5 or 6 years ago i saw the car run 5.82et with 26x10's with a 377ci and a 300 shot...Suspension was what it is Now.

Please share your ideas Here.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Hey BJ,

I don't know about the cam but most blower cams are about 112 C/L and a shorter lift on the exhaust like a nitrous cam. If that's a mono leaf car they wind up like you wouldn't believe, depending on the length of the slapper bars. You can put wedges between the pads and the springs and i think you already know about 3*'s is close to ballpark. You may want to get some 1 7/8" headers, because you can't put it in if you can't get it out.

Don't take any of this as facts, it's just how i would look at it for starters.

PS, did you find a blower yet?

Zip.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

a 69, nice. i've seen and rode in a car w/33" tires w/4:56 strip/street
car and it ran nice on the street. i can't say that the 26" tire worked
on the street w/4:56 but with those strip numbers it worked well for
the bottom end. i think 3:90 would travel well with that tire for the
street, i take it the camero has a posi unit? a spool is tough for
quick turns in traffic, but the 3:90 will proform well if needed at
the strip, 12 blt is tuff. im not an expert but built a few good luck 8)
Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Hey BJ,

I don't know about the cam but most blower cams are about 112 C/L and a shorter lift on the exhaust like a nitrous cam. If that's a mono leaf car they wind up like you wouldn't believe, depending on the length of the slapper bars. You can put wedges between the pads and the springs and i think you already know about 3*'s is close to ballpark. You may want to get some 1 7/8" headers, because you can't put it in if you can't get it out.

Don't take any of this as facts, it's just how i would look at it for starters.

PS, did you find a blower yet?

Zip.
Ok thanks Zip.....No i haven't put my Finger on A blower yet..but i am being patient and waiting on a Decent deal..Not to re-hash anything here but i just WILL NOT pay within a couple of hundred dollars for any item when a new one can be purchased for just a few more dollars. i know many guys will i just ain't one of them..

also the more i look into this blower set up i am not so sure that a 177 would not be more appropriate for the 406 (ci).

Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Well you could put one these bullets on it and really wake up the drive-in crowd

Zip.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

OOOOhh yeah...that bad Boy would do the trick for sure...i'm sorry to say it would do its Job to well and split that 406 in half...LITERALLY...LOL

AHH tHOSE 400 blocks...got to keep her around the 500hp (550 tops) and expect her to live..... 8)

Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Juice-

I have a 69 Camaro too & it has a Dana 60 w/ 488's... 9.5/rim 29" slicks I drive on the street WAY more than on the strip. Anyways, You are right... I think a 390/411 would be just about right for your purpose. My car turns RPMs w/ those gears & gets my stall hot. I will be doing the same thing myself... once I get the courage to to a R&P (never done one yet). Anyways, to this day I am impressed how the 1st gen Camnaro's seem to launch straight!! (this is my first Camaro) Mine is stock suspension too with frame extentions. That sounds like a fun street car to drive to the track. Anyways, do you have the RS grill/Hideaways? I want to do RS covers w/o the hassle of the whole kit... I have the grill, but I need to do the rest. You might let me know if you are ever selling any 69 parts too. Scooter
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Scoot

nnah its a standard front end..yes the car launches straight as an arrow,,i do not know what these cars weigh but i assume over 3200lbs..i gotta adjust the valves here shortly..wiating for it to warm up here in a few days.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Almost every cam I run has a 114 lobe seperation, but
a few years back I had a N/A 515 BBC sitting on the dyno, put a 6/71 on it with only 4.5 lbs of boost and picked up 200+ hp Maximum engine hp was 851 on pump gas

The cam was a 515 int/exh with 108 lobe sep,

Go figure

At 8 lbs of boost you just may be tweeking the line, but if your just wanting to put a runner together for weekend crusing what do you have to lose.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Hey zipper
Love that old school stuff you have there Mag catcher thats cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -