Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much boring a 350...

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

How much is too much boring a 350...

I have a early 70's 350 block that has been bored .080 and a set of trw dome pistons that match it. My question is do you guys think this will be all right in a bracket car?

I am getting ready to build a new motor for my dragster and I have this sitting around, I was thinking about putting a 3.75 stroke crank in this and letting it rip.

What do you guys think???

Thanks Guys
    Josh VanHorne

1964 Chevy Nova
    Worlds quickest and fastest tow truck. (9.92 @ 137)

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/7...247837-479.jpg

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/211708

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I'd jump to a lil M block. Around 1400.00 I think and well worth the money. No worries. If you sell your engine later it will help the resale value too.

X2
    If a 5 lb hammer can't fix it,it must be electrical
    Keep the shiney side up! 8)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/85221

WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
    IS A DIVISION OF
    HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
    RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

CARL HINKSON 207-892-7215
    EMAIL [email protected]

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    throw it together some of my best engines were built from parts like that just dont use the old oil pump sitting under the workbench!
    loose is fast! what do you have to lose? if you dont I might..

I would run it!!!

Re: How much is too much boring a 350...

Quote Originally Posted by DragsterJosh
    I have a early 70's 350 block that has been bored .080 and a set of trw dome pistons that match it. My question is do you guys think this will be all right in a bracket car?

I am getting ready to build a new motor for my dragster and I have this sitting around, I was thinking about putting a 3.75 stroke crank in this and letting it rip.

What do you guys think???

Thanks Guys
    I'm assuming that you want to get into something as cheap as possible and that's why you were looking at what you have. There's lot's of .060 over 350's running. I'm thinking the walls may be a little thin at .080 over, but with block filler it may be o'k. Before you spend the money on a 3 3/4" crank you need to check the pin height in those pistons you have, because it may require special length rods. other than that let it rip.

JMO

Zip.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Josh i had similiar concerns and questions when i ran a 512 series 454 block at .125 over..with a 4.25 stroke crank it was a 511 or 512 for some if you round up .

Anyhow i was told by many people that this was too much Bore and it would run hot and most likley not hold up..then i had some say it would be ok..
    i ran it and it done fine..ran at 185 degree's..it was PERFECT !.....a very strong engine..of course i did not spray any Nos and my compression was around the 13:1 mark

i think the only way to know for sure how much meat is left in those cylinder walls is to sonic test them and just see...and then your still gonna have people who think it may or may not work..

At a minimum i would sonic test Block being that it is so old..it may have some spots that are just too risky to try..

Of course the lil "m' Block is the best Route but its also a lot more Money..

if you can handle the Money side of it i would say upgrade Now,,cause i honestly believe your gonna end up there in the end..the same thing with me..i went back With Big "m" Block this last go around.

just my take on it.

Brian
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Thanks for all your info guys. I was just thinking about throwing this together on the cheap to have as a spare or use in my footbrake truck.

I got this stuff in a deal and nobody wants to buy it, so I thought maybe I could throw it together.

It sound like it should work for what I want.

Thanks Again!!
    Josh VanHorne

1964 Chevy Nova
    Worlds quickest and fastest tow truck. (9.92 @ 137)

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/7...247837-479.jpg

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/211708

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    One more time. Not to stir any pot. But consider this. if the engine is .060 now, with no troubles, going .080 is only making the cylinders .010 thinner in any one spot. With block filler to the bottom of the water pump, I wouldn;t worry about it. Is it ideal? No. Will it work for a budget deal? Yes.