Nitrous and Magnetos

Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Default Nitrous and Magnetos

I am considering a Mallory magneto for my engine but I will be using nitrous. Is it advisable to use a mag with nitrous???
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I believe you will lose more than you gain. Your idle quality will suffer and your will only have a short range of perfect firing.
A box that offers multiple advance reductions is much better.
Dave
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 AM
mudjeep
SHOW GUEST

A mag will work fine, If its a race car your probably going to have your timing locked out anyway so I don't see how thats going to going to affect idle quality. If your just running 1 stage just set the timing to where it needs to be when the nitrous is on and you won't need the retard stages. If you sometimes run on motor only a box might be better so you don't have to physically change the timing back and forth
Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

I'm curious about the idle quality statement? Why would idle quality suffer?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I am courious as well, I think I kinda get what you are saying about a fixed range of timing or perfect range of timing, but??????? :?:
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
DaveKoehler
APPRENTICE

2 pennies worth.
Magnetos and high cylinder pressures, ie nitrous or blowers are a good marriage. If you go with the MSD you can add on all those timing widgets again.

Dave Koehler
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Default I'm curious about the idle quality statement? Why would idle

That was my experience. I tried fixed timing, but tough to crank, even backfiring. I tried using 12 degrees of mechanical advance but had to set the total advance based on the second stage maximum timing.
When I finanly went to muli stage box, I could idle at lower RPM and reduce timing when stages kicked in.
Disclamer: This was several years ago and technology has tried to pass me by several times. After watching the pro teams, I am guessing you can do anything with timing with enough money. Just my experience...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM
DaveKoehler
APPRENTICE

Idle quality hasn't been a problem with the MSD mags but then I don't run a race engine idle low rpm like a oem engine.
I suppose that until one tries the 12 or 20 amp versions it's hard to believe the differences versus the old mags or conventional cd ignition. I know I was surprised. I started with the old 1 and 2 amp mags many moons ago and then the MSD stuff until about 10 years ago. Now I use the 20 amp mag.

There is a quantum leap between the old vertex style and the new mags.
Starting. These days on injected engines with either style of ignition I recommend 24 volts to the starter. Makes life a whole bunch easier. Works well on giant cube engines also.

Dave Koehler
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks for the response guys. I ended up getting an MSD 7al-3. I will eliminate the points in my current distributor and add a pro power coil to light up the engine. Nothing against mags but I can't believe how much the MSD 7al-3 does!! It will fit my application perfect.