Duramax 6.6 starting problem

Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default Duramax 6.6 starting problem

I have a Duramax 6.6 in my one ton '02 Silverado, it has about 90k on it. Late in '06 I had to have all fuel injectors replaced due to them sticking open at high altitudes. I also had the fuel tank cleaned out and replaced the fuel filter. My problem is:
When the temp outside is around freezing or below my truck will start, in about 10 seconds it loses its prime and will not start without priming it several times, sometimes one prime, other times 5 or 6 primes. It will start and run normally afterwards, I have only experienced this in cold weather, starts excellent when it is warm outside. I have had it scanned and found no codes in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- Chevrolet covered the costs of my fuel injectors, it had about 82k when I replaced the injectors......According to Chevrolet, the injectors and labor are covered for 200,000 miles, no time limit!! I left from there $89 lighter, for cleaning out the tank and the price of the fuel filter! I was quite pleased, however, they did not cover my $600 tow bill! :shock:
Old 01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Ok well Rudy i as you know i work on cummins diesel's but they all are about the same, what i believe is happening is cold diesel is thicker and harder to pump [right] so your supply pump is weak and just can't pump correctly when cold, that's why you must help with priming, get's enough fuel to injection pump to keep engine running untill it get's warm, and the returning fuel to tank from injector's and injection pump, warm's fuel in tank. making it easier for the supply pump to pump.

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
blownalky3
MASTER BUILDER

Default Filter

I would check the fuel filter base. They crack very easy and that would allow it to lose prime. My brother in law had his filter changed and after him getting stranded many times losing prime, we found the root of the problem. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

You have an airleak somewhere, probably between tank & filter but may be filter base as mentioned above. The Duramax doesn't have a supply/lift pump. It relies on the high pressure pump vacuum to pull fuel all the way from the tank, so ANY air leak can cause issues.
Could be a crack in the bleed screw on filter base or the oring on it.......
Johnny
Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 PM
wepriest
SHOW GUEST

Default 6.6 duramax diesel

I HAVE A 6.5 DURAMAX DEISEL .WHEN YOU GO TO START IT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS GOING TO START BUT WONT KEEP GOING.HAVE CHANGED FUEL SELENOID DRIVER ,NO ITS GOOD GOOD FUEL PRESURE LOCKSMITH CHECKED KEY SENDING RIGHT SIG. IT WILL START FOR SPLIT SEC . THEN STOP IMMEDIATLY ANY ANSWERS WILL BE APPRICIATED,THANKS [email protected] :evil:
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: 6.6 duramax diesel

Originally Posted by wepriest
I HAVE A 6.5 DURAMAX DEISEL .WHEN YOU GO TO START IT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS GOING TO START BUT WONT KEEP GOING.HAVE CHANGED FUEL SELENOID DRIVER ,NO ITS GOOD GOOD FUEL PRESURE LOCKSMITH CHECKED KEY SENDING RIGHT SIG. IT WILL START FOR SPLIT SEC . THEN STOP IMMEDIATLY ANY ANSWERS WILL BE APPRICIATED,THANKS [email protected] :evil:
A Duramax is a 6.6, must be those puggy fingers, LOL.

My old 95 6.5 1 ton had a cold start problem. These trucks need to spin a certian rpm before they will start. I had one battery that was bad. I would spin the motor over but not fast enough to start it.