fuel cell

Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default fuel cell

Does anyone have any info on how to install a fuel cell in the trunk.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 AM
undertaker598
APPRENTICE

The fuel cell must be installed with the filler cap lever or higher than the top of the rear tires. One time I mounted my Fuel cell on top of a 2x4 to raise the tank up a little, the track tech told me it was wrong and I had to change it. As long as the filler cap is level with the top of the rear tires or higher you will be ok. Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by undertaker598
The fuel cell must be installed with the filler cap lever or higher than the top of the rear tires. One time I mounted my Fuel cell on top of a 2x4 to raise the tank up a little, the track tech told me it was wrong and I had to change it. As long as the filler cap is level with the top of the rear tires or higher you will be ok. Hope that helps.
I can't find that anywhere in general regulations in the NHRA rule book. Does IHRA have a rule on that. I would be interested to know that. I have never heard of this rule before. Thank's
Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 AM
undertaker598
APPRENTICE

I was at an IHRA track about 4 or 5 years ago. Now that I think about it, my cell was too high. The filler cap can't be any higher than the top of the rear tire. Also, don't forget to have a rollover/vent. You must drill a hole in the trunk floor pan and run line outside the trunk in case of spill or rollover.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by undertaker598
I was at an IHRA track about 4 or 5 years ago. Now that I think about it, my cell was too high. The filler cap can't be any higher than the top of the rear tire. Also, don't forget to have a rollover/vent. You must drill a hole in the trunk floor pan and run line outside the trunk in case of spill or rollover.
Thank you for your reply. I thought there was more to it. That makes sense to me now.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

The NHRA rule book page 249 gives you general rules on venting and fire wall protection from the driver compartment. In general one should always mount the fuel cell in such a manor that permits gravity feeding to the fuel pump and the pump should always be mounted behind and below the fuel cell as much as clearance permits for safety from rear hazard. The cell if mounted below the trunk floor needs to have .035" sheet metal protection below the cell. Always use the rule book of the race body you race in to be sure that all safety rules are followed. The pump being forced fed under acceleration can be a big deal if your hot rod is very fast. If you mount to far behind the cell, fuel will run to the front of your cell away from the pump and starve it for fuel on long decell conditions. This should be avoided as well. G force on liquid at 1 G will go on a 45 degree angle from level in that condition. The pump would like to be in the fuel in that condition if rear mounted. under decell the fuel goes forward on a 45 deg if decell is one G. The closer you, to an extent mount the pump to the back side of the cell and below it the less starvation that will take place under decell. This should give you some guidelines to start the thought process and mock up of your new fuel system.