Thread: motor overheats..please help

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

motor overheats..please help

i run a street stock class on a small small 1/4 mile so were not going very fast which means not much airflow
    motor is pretty much a stock chevy 305 i run a hei dist. and a 2bbl rochester carb
    radiator is a 3 core gm radiator
    i have tried both electric and manual fan with shrouds..
    i cant run a whole feature event without the motor getting so hot it pushes most if not all the water out of the radiator... please help

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Overheating

Check to make sure your radiator cap is good. If it is weak or leaking it will cause the water to boil at a lower temperature.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    what about a thermostat or restrictors in the thermostat housing to slow the circulation so it can cool it

try back filling the engine, makeing sure there is no air in the system, and if you are not useing it now, try water weter, good luck.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Have you concidered that the cam timing is too advanced. This is a common problem with many stock chevys using towing cams. The other likely player would be a EGR that never shuts off. Sometimes the EGR gets hooked up to a vaccume source that keeps it active under full power. That will cook the intake and cause the engine to run lean. Then are you possibly running real lean?
    Food for thought..........

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    there is no air in the system
    have tried water weter
    have tried a thermostat and reducer
    plugs actully looked a little on the rich side
    and cam is a comp 260h and degreed to what comp wants it at

Like above mentioned I'd try a new 15 to 16 psi cap first -thats a cheap fix.

Other thoughts....

I'd go with a bigger raditor if the rules allow, you might also consider a aluminum one if you can spare the change, they really make a difference.
    Also a aluminum high flow water pump will make a big difference too - they can be had for around 50 bucks just about anywhere, I got mine from a vendor on here.
    Goodluck, Charles
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

either the water pump isnt pumping, maybe the shaft broke off, maybe its full of rust or the thermostats stuck.

i dont have any ideas for you to try but i also run a 305 with a 260h comp 2bbl and hei.. our motors are almost twins.. lol