Legend Race Car Motor

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
vlf64
SHOW GUEST

Default Legend Race Car Motor

I have a legend car with a 1,200 cc seal engine that won't idle. I'm getting spark to all cylinders. I replace the battery, plugs and put in fresh gas.
Soon as the motor warms up with using the choke it misses and pops in the exhaust. The motor will stall soon as the choke is released.

Any help would be greatful.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

either you have a fuel restriction or you have a air leak, causing it to lean out.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Vacume leak. You can squirt a little starting fluid around the carbs while the engine is running to see if the idle picks up. If so, check for intake leak. Be careful you don't spray it on the plug wires or distributer !! Check all your intake connections from cyl head to carb base. Sloppy throttle shaft bores can create idle issues also.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

X2
Your definetly lean by some means. I like to use a propane torch instead of spraying carb cleaner all over everything - open the valve wide open and dont light it of course and work it around the base of the carb and around intake area, when the idle picks up> you've found the leak.

Goodluck! Cp
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
myersracing
SHOW GUEST

you didnot tell about compresson test but I would surely test cold then hot and see if different. bike engine tend to end up with tight valve settings after hard running time. we have to reset after every 6 races on the 600 engines.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

X2 meyersracing on the tight valves.... happens on just about all of them. Also might check the carbs, as they will get gummed up from fuel sitting in them during storage :cry: don't know how easy to get to yours, but on bikes it's a pita, for real !

DON'T FORGET TO SYNC THE CARBS AFTER VALVE ADJUSTMENT !