manifold porting?????

Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
toofazt4u
APPRENTICE

Default manifold porting?????

I am about to try to port My own intake,and try to save 600.00....Anybody have some tip's/info on how to do this successifully???I have all the tools,just not the knowledge....I am working with a Edelbrock Super Victor on a 572 BBC.The motor put out 900 hp.w.a stock "out of the box"intake that looks like.....
Thank's!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: manifold porting?????

Originally Posted by toofazt4u
I am about to try to port My own intake,and try to save 600.00....Anybody have some tip's/info on how to do this successifully???I have all the tools,just not the knowledge....I am working with a Edelbrock Super Victor on a 572 BBC.The motor put out 900 hp.w.a stock "out of the box"intake that looks like.....
Thank's!!!!!!!!!!
That intake is crap out of box, port match the intake ports going to the head, and all the big alum nasty spots inside need smoothed out. Best advice just dont get to aggressive taking material off.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

My advise to you is to get to know someone who is a succesful port guy and be his apprentice for a while before you attempt this by yourself. its little more complicated the way the metal has to be cut for best air flow.

i have whitnessed this from my own port guy...
you can hurt performance more then help it if you cut it the wrong way

just my take on it.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

The guy that ported my junk, goes by the name CNC, and he must be good, he's mentioned in the best magazines.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
toofazt4u
APPRENTICE

Default Re: manifold porting?????

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by toofazt4u
Thank's!!!!!!!!!!
That intake is crap out of box, port match the intake ports going to the head, and all the big alum nasty spots inside need smoothed out. Best advice just dont get to aggressive taking material off.
Hey Dave...THANK'S for the advice.......It is a piece of crap like You said,and that is why I am trying to make it better!!!!!!!!!! From there
I am sending it out to Calif.to Nitrous Supply to have a fogger kit
installed...One more question,''should I sharpen the dividers in the plenum???????they have rough flash on all four,and was wondering if I should try to make an edge,or leave them round,removing the crap....
''Oh yeah...."it is good to see a neighbor online(Im from Jackson,,,,,)
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Anything on the intake side you want a satin finish as it promotes a boundary layer of fuel/air for better flow. Exhaust runners in the heads you want polished. Definitely a port match job but ONLY if you can make the MANIFOLD side the same as or a tad SMALLER than the head side. No lip facing the upstream side ! As your pattern, use the same brand /part number intake gasket as you will be using in the final assembly.

NEVERNEVERNEVER do ANY grinding on an assembled head (in the port matching process ) that you are NOT going to disassemble and CLEAN before re-installation.