carb to hood clearance

Old 01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Default carb to hood clearance

As you know I'm building a 68 chevelle with a big block. I need to see if anyone can tell me how high of a hood do I need to clear the carbs on a tunnel ram. The motor won't be ready for a little while and the body shop is about ready to paint the car. I would like to stay with a cowl style hood. Would 8" be high enough? Thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Do you have a block, intake and carbs that you could use just for mock up? Would the body shop just wait to paint the hood until you get your clearances figured?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

They would paint the hood later, but I really wanted to get the hood now. I know I need to have patience and just wait. I have a 5" now and I know it is not high enough. It is a glasstek that is already in yellow primer and I'm trying to get $400 for it. If I sell it I was going to buy another one and just get the hood out of the way.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

mmmmm ya better wait till ya get at least a full size mock up or the real deal in place..... All ya gotta be is 1/4 of an inch too high and........been there, done it, got the T-shirt, and a whole lotta frustration !!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

I guess I need to listen to you guys and just wait. If not I will be out of money for another hood. But if anybody does have a big block with a tunnel ram in a 68-69 chevelle please let me know how high your hood is. Thanks