to all track owners

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 AM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default to all track owners

:idea: its time for all you guys to come up with heas up classes no breakout for the classes just like the pros. all engine no adders. weight to c.i. simple 2800 to 3000. lbs 340 to 600 ci all tube chass and no tube chassis. thats the basic outline. what do you think. car owners and track owners :?: :?: :idea:
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with you, we need classes like this, I like heads-up racing don't get to many chances a year to get the other car out to do heads-up racing
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 AM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Re: to all track owners

Originally Posted by robsbird
:idea: its time for all you guys to come up with heas up classes no breakout for the classes just like the pros. all engine no adders. weight to c.i. simple 2800 to 3000. lbs 340 to 600 ci all tube chass and no tube chassis. thats the basic outline. what do you think. car owners and track owners :?: :?: :idea:
how would you police something like that? what local track would tear motor down to check cubic in ? sounds good but not to realistic
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by denn468
how would you police something like that? what local track would tear motor down to check cubic in ? sounds good but not to realistic
It's realistic, they could P&G the motors for displacement, like the dirt track guys do. I would like to see some lower minimum weights though. How about 1800-3800, let some dragster, and altered guys in on the fun.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I AGREE----LET US GET BACK TO THE BASIC /ALL OUT RACING-I HATE SEEING TIRE SMOKE OFF THE 'FRONT TIRES' AT THE FAR END :lol: :lol: :lol:
LIVELY
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

In theory it sounds good but i donot believe any track owner would go to the expense of buying the P&G equipment, or want to have all the headaches associated with the protest and whinning when they can just run pro or s/pro brackets. It would also create a doz. different classes much like the old days of the gasser classes in NHRA.
Around here we have the 6.00 and 7.00 classs no breaout and a pro tree and Memphis had the 6.50 class same deal. The last show in memphis they had 3 cars in the class. The 6.00 class pays 1000.00 and the 7.00 pays 750.00. But not enough cars in either class. The same nites they run s/pro and it will have 60 to 90 cars, for the track owner that's really where the money is. s/pro also pays guarenteed $1250.00.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

I like heads up racing and did it back in the day, so to speak. But they came up with bracket racing so everybody could have a chance to win. I really don't see a track going back to that kind of racing. Don't get me wrong I think drag racers are wanting to do something different. I stopped running Pro and Super pro because I got bored with it. Plus the delay boxes. Well that's another story for sure. I say go to a pro tree for every class and come up with a way to run heads up.
It'll be tough to keep it fair though.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:32 PM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

8) you don't need a tear down, just a cc tube. It not hard to tech a class when the number of rules are limited. nhra safety rules would applied. first you will need 3 catigories ( 3 catigories to cover all the existing cars) catigory # 1 rail and roadsters , catigory # 2 tube chassis car, catigory #3 modified stock chassis ( factory frame rails,firewalls ,floors )
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
robsbird
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
It's realistic, they could P&G the motors for displacement, like the dirt track guys do. I would like to see some lower minimum weights though. How about 1800-3800, let some dragster, and altered guys in on the fun.
:!: you would be in catigory #1 dragsters and roadsters. :idea:
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

We had a heads up show a few years ago. Street tire heads up. They had 5 fast cars show up and a couple of guys in 14-15 sec cars buy in at the last minute to get the qualifying money.

Our track does a Tues. night street car t&t. A couple of years ago they started having a shootout. The fastest 16 cars would get a sticker and the top 2 would run off for a trophy. A local forum was had a ton of posts about "Yeah the way racing should be. Heads up no stupid bracket stuff."
All these guys with their mustangs, camaros, and imports started bragging about the decals and trophies they were going to get. I didn't take long for a 9 sec vega to show up and the whining and crying began. "That's not fair!" "they should have weight rules" They should have back seats" Blah blah blah. I've seen nights you have to run 10's just to get a decal. Last I heard the track record for that event was like 8.70 .
Heads up racing is just a money pit. The class will always get faster. They people with money and the want to make the changes will always be faster. Sooner or later the "slower" guys will get tired of being beat and quit coming.

If you think a class like that will work, approach a local track owner and suggest it to him. See if he would add it to a night. A lot of tracks would give it a try. You might try to find someone to sponsor the event. Like a local speed shop.

If you're really brave, Look into renting a facility one weekend or day. We did a big motorcycle event at a track a few years ago. They agreed to have it if we put it together and promoted it.

It might work in your area but it has never worked here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -