New Glide Needed

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Default New Glide Needed

I bought 67 Camaro with a Reese Powerglide. I can't find any info on this tranny/company. I've upped the hp on this car to about 1200 so I think I better replace the tranny. There are lots of vendors pushing their glides. I would like to know who to look at and who to avoid. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

i see your in iowa. Call Bruce at advance transmission in knoxville. He deals with powerglides and racing transmisison from every weekend brackets to extremely high hp cars. Hes had trannys in cars up to 3000 hp. He is currently working with transmission specialties getting their new input shafts and output shafts for powerglides to make them live in the high hp applications. Everything he sells he has tested in his own cars included a 57 chevy pro mod/nitro coupe car as well a supercharged blown hemi Spitzer top dragster. Most company's will tell you a transmission will hold certain applications and most of the time they are over estimating. Bruce knows what stuff will hold and live for a long time. Last i knew, he had a trans live 6 or 7 full seasons without freshening. he said the only reason it had problems was they changed engines that up'd the hp and over did the trans.

All his transmission have a full race season warranty and he will stand behind anything he sells. Also he out racing just like any other guy so at track support is always a plus!

heres a link to his sight.
www.advancetransmission.net
or call him at 641-828-7030
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 AM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

if your going to be at wild wades swap meet in desmoines, jan 10th at the varied industry building in iowa fairgrounds, stop and see him at his booth. he has a lot of specials during the show too.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

I'll call him. I wish I could be here on the 10th but I have to go to NY on business. Thanks for the help.
Jim
Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 AM
oldtimer
APPRENTICE

According to the flyer the date is Jan 11, 2009.
http://www.wildwade.com/
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

I under stand you are asking about a glide but I run a coan XLT big dog 3 speed in my Beretta car that makes 1200 HP and 925# torque and have 150 passes on it so far and dont have any indication that anything is unhappy so far. I use the 3 speed because ultimate et and MPH are my priority's. I am not trying to convert any one from the slush box trans but the one I use is very stout. FYI
Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

If you have any questions or would like a quote on a complete tranny for your application, feel free to call and talk to Dion at Vickers Transmission. His number is 330-584-3679. Dion has been building transmissions in Northeast Ohio for several years from your average bracket cars, top sportsman/dragsters and supercharged warriors. I am sure he can help.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

sorry wildwades show is the 11th. i gotta be there to setup saturday so i just had that date stuck in my head. haha
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
I under stand you are asking about a glide but I run a coan XLT big dog 3 speed in my Beretta car that makes 1200 HP and 925# torque and have 150 passes on it so far and dont have any indication that anything is unhappy so far. I use the 3 speed because ultimate et and MPH are my priority's. I am not trying to convert any one from the slush box trans but the one I use is very stout. FYI
Slush box???
A glide is the best bracket racing tranny bar none, that is if you want to be consistent and win, I know I do.

I recommend Ambruzi racing transmissions - they are a vendor on this site, what could be easier?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by cepx111
Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
Slush box???
A glide is the best bracket racing tranny bar none, that is if you want to be consistent and win, I know I do.

I recommend Ambruzi racing transmissions - they are a vendor on this site, what could be easier?
I Did not mean to offend anyone. We called them slush boxes at the dealership back when they were popular in stock apps.. and just wanted to plug Coan. They have treated me well, and I love to manual shift a 3 speed.