Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tall deck bbc help

tall deck bbc help

i am switchin to a 10.2 deck 598 i have dart 345 heads (i believe are to small?.) my questions are do i need a different intake ....i think the dist is different anythin else u can think of

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    what block are you using?as to intake you will need a intake for tall deck bbc OR if already have a intake for std. deck bbc then you can use it by using intake spacers.the dist also needs to be for tall deck or one with adjustable collar..on lifters they need to be .300 taller on my dart block[10.20deck]according again to what block you are using.check your cam location..on the dart big M block[as i have]they are in stock location but i've heard of some block having cam raised.if a dart[as i have]then you use std gear drive or timing chain or belt drive for any bbc mark iv's..

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: tall deck bbc help

Quote Originally Posted by harley12110
    i am switchin to a 10.2 deck 598 i have dart 345 heads (i believe are to small?.) my questions are do i need a different intake ....i think the dist is different anythin else u can think of
    You can use the 9.8 deck intake with the spacers but I would sell the 9.8 and buy a 10.2 intake them spacers are a pain, 2 sets of intake gaskets and then they tend to leak a lot. A slip collar dist is all you will need for dist. Different lifters like mentioned above also. I will agree Dart 345's are small for a 598.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

thanks for the help the block is a bowtie.......any ideas on a good intake for this combo....should i try to sell the 345's or can they be made to work?....

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    The tall deck intake should accept your distributor because they are recessed for that reason. I have a Dart tall deck intake and it is recessed and Dart told me I could use the same distributor.

thanks for the help the block is a bowtie.......any ideas on a good intake for this combo....should i try to sell the 345's or can they be made to work?....
    If you are looking to get rid of the bowtie block, I know a guy who might be interested in it.

Would like to hear more info on what you plan to do with it, car , other parts for engine, cam, carb ? Can give ya more info after this.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

lets see cam is not purchased yet open to ideas.....heads are out of the of dart 345 block is a bowtie tall deck ..crank is lunati pro mod 4.500 stroke.. rods are eagle 6.800 pistons are je 4.600 bore this motor was a shfiroff 598 built in 03 and hurt a rod in 06 then set in a buddys garage til igot it last year he has the cam that was in it ...it came from shafiroff with dart 360 heads which he kept..for his 632 t is going in my 215wb four link dragster.....if it builds enough steam i will run the top dragster series at lebanon valley and epping nh if not i will just bracket race it ....

lets see cam is not purchased yet open to ideas.....heads are out of the of dart 345 block is a bowtie tall deck ..crank is lunati pro mod 4.500 stroke.. rods are eagle 6.800 pistons are je 4.600 bore this motor was a shfiroff 598 built in 03 and hurt a rod in 06 then set in a buddys garage til igot it last year he has the cam that was in it ...it came from shafiroff with dart 360 heads which he kept..for his 632 t is going in my 215wb four link dragster.....if it builds enough steam i will run the top dragster series at lebanon valley and epping nh if not i will just bracket race it ....
    OK can help ya out here, Erson Cam 420-116 Grind, This is a Reher Morrsion Hot Rod Series cam, 806/765 284/298 @ 50 112 Cl 7/4 Swap Cam. This cam is used by a lot of motor shops and makes good hp. The heads will hold you back for sure on this size CI motor, they would work better on 496-540 CI. They will work but not as good as others. I would assume with them heads and if you get compression 14.5-15:1, a sniper intake, on alky it'll make 950-960HP honest. A good head on it such as bb3x's it'd make 1050-1075. If your car is fairly light 1900ish it'll go 7.5's or so.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

harley12110, you have a pm